You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina 10.15.6 Email Problems

Hello every one, I hope some one can help. I recently updated my iMac ( a late 2012 27inch model running Catalina).

I updated the iso last week to the current 10.15.6. having done this I have noticed that I can receive emails but can not send emails trough mail.

I deleted the email account and re created it, using the same log in server details as previous but still I can not send emails, no matter which email account I try.

The error message I keep getting " cannot connect to IMAP and SMTP server, please check the port details are correct."

I have contacted the email server providers who have given me the correct port details and log in but still I can not sent emails.

Is any one else having this issue after the current update and can any one help as I need to send important emails out but have been struggling ever since I updated the iso last week.

I thank you for all your help.

Kanti168

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 8:35 AM

4 replies

Aug 27, 2020 1:13 PM in response to kanti168

Hi, have you changed your eMail password lately?

Works sometimes even if you haven’t

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, then either check the Password under that item, change it, or delete it and start over.

Enter the part after the @sign in the search bar.

You may have duplicate or more entries in Keychain Access.

If using a browser to login via WebMail works it's not Name or Password, but likely old passwords interfering.

There''ll be at least 2 entries, maybe more.

The trouble is that Mac Mail almost always chooses the old Passwords if you don't change or get rid of the old ones.

Restart to clear some caches.

The big bugaboo with Mail is finding the keychain for any auto setup Mail accounts, if IMAP it usually involves deleting the account & setting it up again to fix it.

Sep 11, 2020 10:09 AM in response to BDAqua

Many thanks for this advice tried this but still no go. Keep getting "Account Error" message, then when the Mail connection Doctor is ran it comes with " Could not connect to this IMAP server. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the Account preferences. Also verify that the server supports SSL.

Checked all as advised but still no go.

Really frustrated know as I can not sent important emails.

Sep 23, 2020 4:50 AM in response to ian99rob

I have had to remove all of the email accounts associated with mail, switch off the machine completely, taking the power socket off the mains and creating new email accounts from scratch the following day and have ended up repeating this over the last few weeks in order to get mail to work as before. Even this morning I still get the warning triangle come up advising me of connection error. When there is no connection error, I keep pressing send and receive mail icon and after few attempts it Dows manage to retrieve the emails and I can send emails as before.

Hope this helps.

Catalina 10.15.6 Email Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.