You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Reduce transparency" doesn't ELIMINATE transparency.

Even with "System Preferences > Accessibility > Displays > Reduce transparency" switched on, I can still see ghosts of other windows behind Photos in Catalina. (Ditto for the standard Catalina lock screen; I can see edges of windows in the ocean.) Is there a way to kill it entirely? It's an unnecessary and unwanted "feature"... Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 10:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 11:06 AM

Can you post a screenshot of what you're referring to? I get no images showing thru Photos, menus or menu bars with reduce transparency (and increase contrast) enabled.

Boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 27, 2020 11:06 AM in response to Stephen Fleming

Can you post a screenshot of what you're referring to? I get no images showing thru Photos, menus or menu bars with reduce transparency (and increase contrast) enabled.

Boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

Aug 31, 2020 8:24 PM in response to Old Toad

Interesting. It didn't show up on my "alter ego" account on this machine. Then, when I switched back to my regular admin account, it's gone here as well!

Which is weird.

The only optimizing app that I run is CleanMyMac X, which I've actually had pretty good luck with.

I rebooted, just to test, and the behavior is still gone. So I'm glad it's fixed, but I wish I knew why! Thanks for the user-account suggestion.

Sep 1, 2020 8:32 AM in response to Stephen Fleming

CMM is one of the major reasons for so many users coming to these forums with problems with their Macs. Removing CCM resulted if fixing the problem in nearly every case. CCM is considered by most experienced users here to be akin to malware. I recommend you uninstall it according to the developer's instructions. You can check to see if you've removed all of the files by downloading and running Find Any File to search for any files with the application's name  and the developer's name in the file name.  For example for CCM software you'd do the following search: 

1 - Name contains cleanmymac

2 - Name contains macpaw

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

"Reduce transparency" doesn't ELIMINATE transparency.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.