Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is mobilesync folder on iMac?

Where is the folder mobilesync on my iMac. I have macOS Catalina, V10.15.6. I want to confirm my iPad and iPhone backups are completing successfully.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 5:11 PM

3 replies

Aug 28, 2020 3:49 PM in response to LNBug5269

They should all be there as far as I recall, but only one backup per device, except maybe in the old days...

Backups from your computer

A computer backup of your device, which is not the same as a sync, includes almost all of your device's data and settings. A backup from a computer doesn't include:

• Content from the iTunes and App Stores, or PDFs downloaded directly to Apple Books
  • Content synced from Finder or iTunes, like imported MP3s or CDs, videos, books, and photos
  • Data already stored in iCloud, like iCloud Photos, iMessages, and text (SMS) and multimedia (MMS) messages
  • Face ID or Touch ID settings
  • Apple Pay information and settings
  • Apple Mail data
  • Activity, Health, and Keychain data (to back up this content, you'll need to use Encrypted Backup in iTunes.)

Learn how to make a backups from your computer, how to find them on your Mac or PC, and how to delete backups that you no longer need.

Can I use my device's backup for another kind of device, like an iPhone backup for an iPad?

You can restore a device from a backup of another kind of device, like using an iPad backup for an iPhone, but certain types of content won't transfer. This content includes photos, Messages and attachments in Messages, Voice Memos, and apps that aren't compatible with the device that you’re setting up. For example, apps compatible only with iPad won't transfer to your iPhone.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7331041?answerId=29298926022#29298926022

https://www.intego.com/mac-security-blog/the-ultimate-guide-to-backups-and-storage-for-iphone-and-ipad/#:~:text=Storing%20multiple%20backups,space%20on%20your%20hard%20drive.

Aug 27, 2020 6:53 PM in response to LNBug5269

Backups on your Mac

To find a list of your backups:

1. Click the magnifier icon  in the menu bar.
  2. Type or copy and paste this: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
  3. Press Return.

To find a specific backup:

1. On a Mac with macOS Catalina 10.15 or later, open the Finder. On a Mac with macOS Mojave 10.14 or earlier, or on a PC, open iTunes. Click your device.
  2. In the Finder, under the General tab, click Manage Backups to see a list of your backups. From here, you can right-click on the backup that you want, then choose Show in Finder, or you can select Delete or Archive. In iTunes, choose Preferences, then click Devices. From here, you can right-click on the backup that you want, then choose Show in Finder, or you can select Delete or Archive.

Aug 28, 2020 10:07 AM in response to BDAqua

1. In Finder, I click my iPhone device under Locations, then choose Go, Recent Folders and then I can see some of the recently accessed subfolders. There is no folder labelled MobileSync, either in the list of Recent Folders or if I actually click on Application Support and look for MobileSync.
  2. In Finder, I click my iPhone device under Locations, choose General and go to Manage Backups. There are only 2 backups listed - one for my last iPhone backup and one for my last iPad backup.

So my question is - is there only one backup available and if not, where are the other backups located? This was my original concern about finding the backups in the MobileSync folder so that I can be assured that my backups are working properly for my iPhone and iPad.

Where is mobilesync folder on iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.