Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Description field in Photos 5.0

I enter a description for a photo in Photos in the description field. Export it as .jpeg. Description shows up in flickr and preview in the caption/description field in IPTC. But, if I import that same file back into Photos, the description field is blank. Searching on text that's in the caption/description field doesn't find the photo. Is there a setting where I can map the import of IPTC caption/description into the description field?

Posted on Aug 28, 2020 7:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2020 8:39 AM

Thanks so much for being willing to respond to me. I have been importing by dragging a photo onto an album from the finder. When I use the import under the file menu, the description field is imported as well. Problem solved!

4 replies

Aug 29, 2020 5:24 AM in response to DKMiller

Which system version is running on your Mac?

When I export a photo from Photos 5.0 on Catalina with "File > Export > Export ... photo" and with the export settings below, the caption, keywords, titles, GPS are all there, when I reimport the exported file back to Photos, right after exporting it.

Or did you export the photo with "File > Export > export unmodified Original"? Then you need to export the IPTC as an XPM sidecar file to save the metadata.

Aug 29, 2020 7:55 AM in response to léonie

I'm running Catalina and have Photos 5.0 161.0.120; my dialog box doesn't have the details about JPEG Quality like yours does (I wish it did so I could control jpeg compression). The Keywords, description and location are in the exported file. But when I re-import the file, the keywords and location show in the info window, but description doesn't.

Description field in Photos 5.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.