Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No disk showing when reinstalling Catalina

Hi experts,

Hoping you can help with a re-install

My iMac (late 2013 model) had an issue about 1 week ago and I forced shut-down. It only rebooted in recovery mode, so I opted to restart from a Time Capsule image (on external Airport Extreme). After letting the back-up image load overnight, I only managed a glimpse of the login screen before the iMac shut itself down.

Since then I have only be able to reboot in recovery mode and the Mac will not enable access to the Airport to load a different image.

Now I have been trying a complete erase and reinstall of OSX. However, there are no disks showing when choose this option from the recovery screen (below).

I have seen some other users experience the same issue and recommend a re-partition in Disk Utility, so that the HDD is recognized. However I only see 1x drive of 4GB, and 1x disk image of 2GB. Also, I am unable to erase or re partition either of them (either option is greyed out or the operation fails., see below).

Other potentially relevant information is that I had a Windows bootcamp partition but have been unable to load this at the start screen.

Appreciate any help with this issue.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 29, 2020 10:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2020 11:26 AM

First, forget the image named Base System. That is simply an installer disk image. You cannot do anything to it with Disk Utility.

See Fixing an Unable to Write to the Last Block of the Device Error. If you are able to resolve this problem, then you can initialize the drive and install macOS. In order to install macOS, you will need to do this:

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

If possible, back up your files before proceeding.

You will need a fast, working Internet connection, preferably, Ethernet. If you must use Wi-Fi, you will be asked to select your network and enter the network password. This procedure will install the current version of macOS that is compatible with your model.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the (Command-Option-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs, only if installing Mojave or Catalina ) or Mac OS Extended, (Journaled.)
  8. Provide a volume name, usually "Macintosh HD."
  9. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  10. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  11. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2020 11:26 AM in response to jasonbhyeoh

First, forget the image named Base System. That is simply an installer disk image. You cannot do anything to it with Disk Utility.

See Fixing an Unable to Write to the Last Block of the Device Error. If you are able to resolve this problem, then you can initialize the drive and install macOS. In order to install macOS, you will need to do this:

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

If possible, back up your files before proceeding.

You will need a fast, working Internet connection, preferably, Ethernet. If you must use Wi-Fi, you will be asked to select your network and enter the network password. This procedure will install the current version of macOS that is compatible with your model.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the (Command-Option-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs, only if installing Mojave or Catalina ) or Mac OS Extended, (Journaled.)
  8. Provide a volume name, usually "Macintosh HD."
  9. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  10. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  11. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Aug 29, 2020 12:20 PM in response to jasonbhyeoh

Open the Terminal while you are booted in Recovery Mode. You will find it under the Utilities menu in the screen's menubar.

At the Terminal's prompt enter:

diskutil list

Press Return. This will identify the disk's number from the listing. It will appear as "/dev/disk#" where "#" is an integer. Next, enter the following command line:

diskutil eraseVolume jhfs+ "Volume Name" /dev/disk# [substitute # with your disk number.]

Press Return. It's possible this will work. Quit Terminal. Open Disk Utility in the Utility Menu and try erasing the drive.

Oh, just thought of another thing to try if the above doesn't work:

Format the disk using all 0's. This is a Security Erase. It takes a lot of time. If the drive isn't dead, this should fix the problem.

Aug 29, 2020 1:06 PM in response to jasonbhyeoh

I'm guessing the disk may have been damaged by the abnormal shutdown. I guess you will need to take it in for repair.

Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service after the stores re-open. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. Also, see How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Distributor (AAD). You may also get Apple authorized service at a local Best Buy or contact Apple Support for more options.

Contacting Apple Customer and Support Service

1. Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.
  2. If you just purchased the product, then you get 90 days of free telephone support from the date of purchase of your Apple product.
  3. Primary support help at Contact Support.
  4. To contact product and tech support: Contacting Apple for support and service including international calling numbers.

Aug 29, 2020 11:58 AM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the reply but didn't help,

Looking at the 3 options on the article you linked

1. Change cables and ports: not possible, HD is internal to the iMac

2. Use Disk Utility in macOS Recovery: this is what I tried, just get failure messages as above when trying to erase

3. Use alternate software or another operating system: also tried partitioning to different types (ASFS, exFAT) but got the same error.

No disk showing when reinstalling Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.