Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to wipe hard drive before trade in on MacBook Pro 2012. Internal HD and HD Data drives are now missing. There is no HD drive for me to select when trying to reinstall Catalina OS X?

I in big trouble here. I tried to follow the instructions on this forum to wipe all data from the internal HD using Disk Utility. It seemed like that was successful.

However, when I tried to reinstall Catalina OS X, once I accept the conditions, it asks me to select a drive to install to, and there is no drive available to select (it is empty).

What I have under the Internal disk utility is APPLE HDD HTS545050A7E362 Media. 500.11 GT Sata Internal Physical Disk. But again, when I try the OS installer, no internal HD disk is visible to allow me to reinstall the OS.

I am now in Internet Recovery Mode. The only things I can access are my WiFi and OS X Utilities.

Can anyone help me?

Posted on Sep 12, 2021 3:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2021 4:00 PM

You’ll want to use Disk Utility to erase and format that HDD disk to GUID/GPT partitioning with an HFS+ macOS Journaled file system. That should make that HDD visible to the installer, if the HDD was erased.

And at this point, the HDD storage has already been erased, so arguably you’re already done here… installing macOS overwrites more of the contents, if the HDD wasn’t previously encrypted.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2021 4:00 PM in response to Dale_L_S

You’ll want to use Disk Utility to erase and format that HDD disk to GUID/GPT partitioning with an HFS+ macOS Journaled file system. That should make that HDD visible to the installer, if the HDD was erased.

And at this point, the HDD storage has already been erased, so arguably you’re already done here… installing macOS overwrites more of the contents, if the HDD wasn’t previously encrypted.

Sep 12, 2021 3:40 PM in response to Dale_L_S

Dale_L_S wrote:

I in big trouble here. I tried to follow the instructions on this forum to wipe all data from the internal HD using Disk Utility. It seemed like that was successful.

However, when I tried to reinstall Catalina OS X, once I accept the conditions, it asks me to select a drive to install to, and there is no drive available to select (it is empty).

What I have under the Internal disk utility is APPLE HDD HTS545050A7E362 Media. 500.11 GT Sata Internal Physical Disk. But again, when I try the OS installer, no internal HD disk is visible to allow me to reinstall the OS.

I am now in Internet Recovery Mode. The only things I can access are my WiFi and OS X Utilities.

Can anyone help me?

How to erase your Intel-based Mac - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208496

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Sep 12, 2021 3:48 PM in response to Dale_L_S

See if this applies:

How to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

If you don’t see Macintosh HD in Disk Utility

Your built-in startup disk should be the first item

listed in the Disk Utility sidebar. It's named Macintosh HD, unless you

changed its name. If you don't see it there, choose Apple menu  >

Shut Down, then unplug all nonessential devices from your Mac and try

again.

If your disk still doesn't appear in Disk Utility, or Disk Utility

reports that the erase process failed, your Mac might need service. If

you need help, please contact Apple Support.

Sep 13, 2021 11:56 AM in response to MrHoffman

Thank you so much MrHoffman! I followed the instructions at this link:

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/erase-and-reformat-a-storage-device-dskutl14079/mac

I was able to erase the Internal Drive "APPLE HDD HTS545050A7E362" and select the correct formats and the name "Macintosh HD". Once that was done, the new Macintosh HD drive name showed up under the Apple HDD drive. Then I was able to use Disk Utility and choose "Install OS X". OS X El Capitan is downloading now.

This solved my issue completely. Thanks for being an expert and helping me!

Sep 12, 2021 3:40 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Thanks Bob. I was following those instructions, and was down to #7. I erased the internal HD's. Seemed all good. But again the place where I got stuck was when I tried to reinstall OS X El Capitan. First a pop-up says that they are checking compatibility. Then the screen "To continue installing the software you must agree to the terms of the software licensing agreement is next. I click on "Agree" and also answer "Agree" to the second pop-up that comes up. Then the next screen says OS X El Capitan "Select the disk where you want to install OS XS. It is here where no disk appears. There is nothing that comes up and I cannot install OS X El Capitan.

Trying to wipe hard drive before trade in on MacBook Pro 2012. Internal HD and HD Data drives are now missing. There is no HD drive for me to select when trying to reinstall Catalina OS X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.