Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

change DVD+R to mp4 on a mid 2010 iMac

I have several DVD+R discs the I made from personal vhs tapes years ago, and which I'd like to convert into .mp4 files. When I insert one of them into the disc reader, the Mac says that I "inserted a blank DVD".

Does the built-in disc player not read DVD+R discs, or is it broken? A regular commercial DVD will play in that built-in disc drive.

The VHS/DVD player/copier on which the DVD+R disc was made has an HDMI output, and the disc does play when I connect that output to the HDMI input of a TV. Can I connect that HDMI output into the Mac and then, perhaps with VLC, convert it into an mp4 file?

Thanks so much.

Posted on Aug 29, 2020 5:26 PM

9 replies

Aug 29, 2020 5:59 PM in response to Vibraphone

Open System Report>Hardware>Disc Burning, what does that report?

HL-DT-ST DVDRW GA32N:

Firmware Revision: KE06

Interconnect: ATAPI

Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)

Cache: 1024 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

Media: To show the available burn speeds, insert a disc and choose File > Refresh Information

Aug 30, 2020 5:38 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for your reply, but I am confused. Where is "System Report"? I do not see it in Disc Utility.

Please note that I am not trying to burn a DVD. I already have +R DVDs that play in the player that made them (to a TV, via HDMI), but are not recognized by the internal drive of my Mac. I want to get their information into the Mac, but using and HDMI to Thunderbolt adapter the signal is not recognized.

Aug 31, 2020 6:16 AM in response to KiltedTim

Bingo.

Thanks very much. Apparently longer DVDs (>30% of the disc) were automatically finalized after I recorded them, but the shorter ones needed to be finalized manually, which I had failed to do. After I finalized them now they did play on my Mac's disc drive.

Now I think I need to open the DVD files and convert VOBs to mp4s via Handbrake, so that I can get them into iMovie to edit.

Thanks again.

change DVD+R to mp4 on a mid 2010 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.