Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OSX Preview locks so dropdown menu items do nothing

Mac OSX Preview often (1 time in 5?) enters non-responsive state. Cursor moves OK to top menu, but dropdown items don't show up. Nothing on tool bar is active. Often have to force quit Preview. Happens with many version, including Catalina 10.15.6 on my 2018 MacBook Pro, Preview version Version 11.0 (999.4). Not consistently reproducible. Here's an example of a pdf that sometimes gives the problem, Download the 2017 PAG Manual. This has been happening for a year. Is there any way to send Apple the abort status so they can debug?

MacBook

Posted on Aug 30, 2020 5:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2020 2:33 PM

Well, I did log in with another user ID, but the Mac locked up. There was no way to restart it to log into my own ID, no matter what I did with the power button. I had a devil of a time getting the "recovery" restart to work. It finally did, but my Mac had to be wiped clean. I recovered from Time Machine. I'm still trying to recover photos. Have not seen the Preview problem I originally had.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2020 2:33 PM in response to Robert Hargraves

Well, I did log in with another user ID, but the Mac locked up. There was no way to restart it to log into my own ID, no matter what I did with the power button. I had a devil of a time getting the "recovery" restart to work. It finally did, but my Mac had to be wiped clean. I recovered from Time Machine. I'm still trying to recover photos. Have not seen the Preview problem I originally had.

Aug 30, 2020 7:35 AM in response to Robert Hargraves

Robert Hargraves wrote:

Mac OSX Preview often (1 time in 5?) enters non-responsive state. Cursor moves OK to top menu, but dropdown items don't show up. Nothing on tool bar is active. Often have to force quit Preview. Happens with many version, including Catalina 10.15.6 on my 2018 MacBook Pro, Preview version Version 11.0 (999.4). Not consistently reproducible. Here's an example of a pdf that sometimes gives the problem, Download the 2017 PAG Manual. This has been happening for a year. Is there any way to send Apple the abort status so they can debug?

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. Login and test. Reboot and test as caches get rebuilt.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204443

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Aug 30, 2020 3:04 PM in response to leroydouglas

I tried the safe boot suggestion, despite having no login startup items at all. Same problem with Preview. The Activity Monitor says Preview is using 1.12 GB of memory. If I right click (two fingers on touchpad) it brings us the normal menu, but nothing on it can be activated. I had about 6 pdfs open trying to drive this bug.

I might try to log in with another user ID, but I can't open test pdfs stored in Documents in my own ID.

Mac OSX Preview locks so dropdown menu items do nothing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.