Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In settings on my iPhone 8 full trust for root certificates has been enabled/ toggled as on. This option to toggle it as off has been greyed out and I cannot acces this selection to turn this trust level of root certificates to off.

How do I change the above trust level if it is a concern and does the above indicate that my phone might have been hacked

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on Aug 30, 2020 5:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2020 7:13 AM

Hey Leonidus77,

It sounds like you have some questions about root certificates on your iPhone. We can understand wanting to know more about that. We want to help.

Some root certificates are trusted automatically as they are a part of iOS. You can learn more about that here: Available trusted root certificates for Apple operating systems

You may have a profile installed on your iPhone or enrolled in Mobile Device Management. This is often the case if the iPhone is associated with a school or business. A profile or Mobile Device Management can add trusted certificates and change the available options that you can adjust in Settings. You can check to see if you have a profile installed in Settings > General > Device Management. You can learn more about that here: Install a configuration profile on your iPhone or iPad

Thanks!

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2020 7:13 AM in response to Leonidus77

Hey Leonidus77,

It sounds like you have some questions about root certificates on your iPhone. We can understand wanting to know more about that. We want to help.

Some root certificates are trusted automatically as they are a part of iOS. You can learn more about that here: Available trusted root certificates for Apple operating systems

You may have a profile installed on your iPhone or enrolled in Mobile Device Management. This is often the case if the iPhone is associated with a school or business. A profile or Mobile Device Management can add trusted certificates and change the available options that you can adjust in Settings. You can check to see if you have a profile installed in Settings > General > Device Management. You can learn more about that here: Install a configuration profile on your iPhone or iPad

Thanks!

Aug 31, 2020 9:17 AM in response to Leonidus77

Leonidus77 wrote:

Hi Lawrence, thank you for that, but if that is the case, why can I not change the trust level of the root certificates? I did some reading and this is what I found. I refer to the last paragraph in the attached screenshot.

You can’t change the trust level of Apple installed certificates. If you install your own certificates you can change the trust level. There is no switch on my phone to change trust level, and there shouldn’t be on yours either.

The only way your phone can be jailbroken is if someone who knows how to do it has physical possession of the phone while it is unlocked. They would need 15-30 minutes. If you think this is a possibility restore the phone to factory settings—>Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support and do not restore your backup.

Aug 31, 2020 7:58 AM in response to mario49

Hi Mario

Thank you very much for responding. I am extremely concerned about the current situation as I believe that my phone has been compromised and that someone else is indeed managing my device remotely.

This iPhone 8 is a phone that I acquired for personal use and which I got brand new from my service provider.

When I went to Settings - General- I cannot find any option showing me Device Management and I was wondering if it would be possible for that option to be hidden from me in the event that my suspicion were to be true and how would I go about figuring out if my device is managed and by who?

Aug 31, 2020 10:46 AM in response to Leonidus77

Your phone might enrolled under a Mobile Device Management program. This would normally be phones that were actually issued by or registered by an organization that participates in Apple Business Manager or Apple School Manager. If so then there is no way around it. If you ever actually reset the phone to factory settings you would see a screen stating that the phone is under Mobile Device Management and the name of the organization that “owns” it. this would not show up as a device management profile. Instead the phone is registered with Apple as owned by the organization.

Aug 31, 2020 10:52 AM in response to Leonidus77

Leonidus77 wrote:

Okay, I can’t find that screenshot, but this is what I discovered when I tried to use safari on my phone last week

That simply means that the specific site you are accessing does not have a valid TLS certificate. It has nothing to do with the certificate store on your phone.

Was the phone originally sold for use in China? If so that is probably the PRC-required profile.

Aug 31, 2020 11:04 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

This phone was part of a contract that I took with a local service provider here in South Africa where I stay. It was brand new out of the box and was not supposed to be under any type of device management. It is for my own private and personal use. I have not given anybody permission to manage my device.

The other strange thing I notice is that my country keeps jumping to the USA even though I change it to RSA daily, I refer to the location at the bottom of the Apple support site pages

In settings on my iPhone 8 full trust for root certificates has been enabled/ toggled as on. This option to toggle it as off has been greyed out and I cannot acces this selection to turn this trust level of root certificates to off.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.