Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

microphone is already being used by another application

“microphone is already being used by another application” has been my iPhones 7 excuse for nearly 6 months!

Today is August 30, 2020. My iPhone 7 Is completely updated, but my phone-calls and Siri have NOT worked since March 2020!!

PLEASE HELP!! Talking to clients And patients on mi Apple-watch is NOT always convenient!

local Apple store has not re-opened, COVID-19 is complicating things.

[Image Edited by Moderator]

iPhone 7, iOS 13

Posted on Aug 30, 2020 5:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 1:46 PM

Me too! Same exact thing..Only can use phone to connected to Bluetooth speaker or other device. Spent hours and hours on the phone to Apple. This seems like a VERY common issue with iPhone 7, 7plus. Look online and in support: it’s ridiculous. Coincidentally, Apple published this “support article” February 5, 2020: before the update that caused the mic crash.

Can anybody tell me why my phone says microphone in use by another app when trying to turn on Voice Over when I turned ALL the microphone permissions to off in settings?!?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2020 1:46 PM in response to djofcc

Me too! Same exact thing..Only can use phone to connected to Bluetooth speaker or other device. Spent hours and hours on the phone to Apple. This seems like a VERY common issue with iPhone 7, 7plus. Look online and in support: it’s ridiculous. Coincidentally, Apple published this “support article” February 5, 2020: before the update that caused the mic crash.

Can anybody tell me why my phone says microphone in use by another app when trying to turn on Voice Over when I turned ALL the microphone permissions to off in settings?!?

Oct 10, 2020 9:15 PM in response to Katie110Bcw

Yessss. You tell them. I’m pretty sure Apple is targeting older phones so we’re forced to buy a new one. I have an iPhone 7+, and all of a sudden my mic stopped working. I’m experiencing THE EXACT SAME PROBLEMS as everyone else in this thread. When I googled this mic problem, everyone who’s experiencing it also has a 7 or 7+. My phone was completely fine until recently.

Oct 12, 2020 3:50 PM in response to ghita7717

This is a user-to-user technical support site operated by Apple, no Apple management will see your threat and the volunteers here don’t care what phone you buy, get the one that serves your needs.

The iPhone 7 and 7 + has had issues with connections coming loose following drops of the device. (And spare me the “it’s never been dropped, etc.) You can do an out-of-warranty replacement of the iPhone though Apple for $319 USD or you can go to a 3rd party repair shop that can do microsoldering and pay around $149 for a repair. Going this route may result in Apple refusing to service that iPhone in the future.

Or go ahead and purchase a Samsung since they have never had any issues.

microphone is already being used by another application

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.