Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook air 2020 heat

Bought 2020 MacBook Air ( i3core 8 GB RAM stock model ) from apple education store around two weeks ago and it arrived a few days ago.

When I use it for Skype video meetings for classes the fans go full speed in less than 5 mins and temperature burns to more than 90C for CPU and more than 95C for the GPU. Keyboard is also very warm to touch in central areas. I already have no apps running in the background and the MacBook is on a table without obstructing the vent.

Same thing happens when I play war thunder (already on minimum graphics), both CPU and GPU temperature go above 95C in two or three minutes, the GPU even stayed on 100C for a few occasions.

The heat is understandable on war thunder given it's a game but is there something wrong with my Mac as its brand new but Skyping already quickly runs up the temperature? Also sometimes CPU temperature goes to 70-80C even when I'm only running safari and Spotify/YouTube, and I already only run a few tabs at a time.

Will this high heat damage my computer, especially when it's constantly hitting that temperature because I have to use Skype for online classes almost daily? Also, what's the expected CPU temperature under light use (only safari/whatsapp + spotify) or at rest?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 30, 2020 6:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2020 6:50 AM

Streaming video is actually fairly processor intensive. As long as you keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures, your Mac will be fine.

Similar questions

5 replies

Aug 30, 2020 9:33 AM in response to SamuelBiBi

Apple doesn’t publish ‘normal’ internal temperatures, but temps up to 100 °C occur under load. Your Mac will cool itself with fans, and as long as you’re within normal ambient temps (link above) and not blocking the vents (don’t use it on a blanket or a couch, a hard surface is best), your Mac will be fine. If needed, it will throttle back the processors to reduce temps.

macbook air 2020 heat

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.