Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is 100c temperature while gaming normal?

On a MacBook Air 2017 1.8GHz (turbo boost 2.9GHz) intel core i5

When I play a game or any other heavy task, the CPU temps reach around 100c, and it starts thermal throttling and fans go crazy, which causes noticeable frame drops in a game. I wanna know if this is normal. Is this normal, and is caused by the "below average" cooling system of the laptop itself?

If it is, then is the heat while under heavy load a laptop causes one of the only things that can reduce performance and/or frame drops during gaming? (other than memory leak)

If yes, then will it always be this way? was the performance always like this?

So dust accumulation in the fins or fans and poor ventilation such as using it on a bed are the only ones that could reduce the performance further more than of the current performance state of the computer?

Fr the cooling systems in these macbook's are downright bad, yes its light and thin but its cooling system isn;t so good, especially with the MacBook air 2020, there it is actually really terrible. The cooling system is already bad + dust accumulation from years of use = terrible performance.

Any tips on how to better my MacBook cooling system without opening it up and adding another fan? (sarcasm)

Posted on Sep 15, 2022 10:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2022 2:49 PM

Yes.

Read Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support, and if applicable to your model Mac, About fans and fan noise in your Apple product - Apple Support.

Similar questions

4 replies

Sep 18, 2022 6:19 AM in response to woodmeister50

I never bought this Macbook Air for gaming. I just saw its specs and found a handful of games that it can handle, and as my only computer, I play all of my games here now.

It's performance isn't really an issue for me, and I am fully aware that this isn't a gaming computer and that I'm only playing games in it cause I can. Playing games that push it to its limits does not do any damage to the computer, right? it has safety mechanisms to prevent it from overheating, so it should be fine, right?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.