Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Command option/alt Escape does not bring up the Force Quit Window

Hello

I am running Mac OS X High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G14019)

I have a single issue.

When I use the keyboard shortcut, command-alt-esc (alt=option) the Force Quit window does not come up.

Does anyone know what causes this and how I can resolve it? I can access the Force Quit window just fine from the menu.

I have tried a new clean user account before submitting this and this issue is reproducible so it is system wide. What system wide file might hold these settings? Perhaps it's faulty?

I also checked the Keyboard viewer and I can see that all the keys register in both user accounts but for the ESC key but escape does work as I can use it to escape out of full screen video running in youtube for example.

Any ideas?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 31, 2020 6:17 AM

12 replies

Aug 31, 2020 9:27 AM in response to dialabrain

So I did the following:

• PRAM reset (2 startup chimes)
  • Booted to SafeBoot Mode, logged in and tried command-alt-esc to Force Quit but it didn't work.
  • Restarted from Safeboot Mode, logged in and tried command-alt-esc to Force Quit but it didn't work.

Thank you for the two potential steps.

I am beginning to suspect it is a setting in System Preferences but on the other hand a new user account shows the same behavior. Is there a plist, maybe in /Library, that governs the keyboard shortcut.

It's odd that the Apple menu displays a keyboard shortcut that doesn't work.

Do you have any other ideas?

Aug 31, 2020 7:37 AM in response to dialabrain

I see what caused the shift to appear, As of Mac OS X 10.3, adding the shift key to the command-option-escape keystroke forces the current application to quit. So having taken a screenshot required shift (command-shift-4) this caused the shift to get added to the menu in the screenshot.

I took a new screenshot using Grab.app to correctly show the default keyboard shortcut.

The shortcut has worked with command-alt-esc since at least Mac OS X 10.4, perhaps since its inception (10.0 or 10.1).

Aug 31, 2020 10:34 AM in response to dialabrain

If you are still there could you do me a small favor please? If you could open the keyboard viewer and press the ESC key. It turns out that it really is not registering in my keyboard viewer. I tried using the escape key in apps that accept this key as a means of escaping full screen and it is not reacting to the key press. I am beginning to suspect that the key is actually faulty.

I would appreciate that small favor so that I can rule out software and begin focusing on the physical keyboard itself as a potential.

Thank you.

Aug 31, 2020 10:56 AM in response to dialabrain

As I waited for your reply I removed the keycap from the Apple wireless keyboard and used a can of air and cleaned everything inside with a little bit of isopropyl alcohol. The issue remains, it is the keyboard.

Thank you for your help and reply.

The issue can only be resolved with a keyboard replacement. The keyboard has a hardware issue.

Command option/alt Escape does not bring up the Force Quit Window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.