You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reinstall mac os x when mac is stuck in boost screen ( please help )

My mac Frozes when boost, so I tried few ways

• went to recovery mode - I can’t use time machine because there’s no backup for that
  • single user mode - can’t type anything, it’s just stuck
  • internet recovery mode - the way that i’m using right now

Q. Does ‘reinstalling mac os x’ erase all data?

Q. What to do when nothing appears when i try to select the disk to install?

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 31, 2020 10:42 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2020 8:24 AM

Hi,

Mount is asking the system to activate, or use, a hard drive.

Which means, if cannot mount at all, it’s either encrypted (protected) or faulty (unavailable).

If it is encrypted you should be able to enter a FileVault password at some point. Have a look https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204837#turnoff

If it’s completely unavailable you could try a chat with www.getsupport.apple.com or visit a nearby Apple Store, to attempt figuring out if the hard drive has failed.

Good luck!

Vicko

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 3, 2020 8:24 AM in response to Helpme_with_this_problem

Hi,

Mount is asking the system to activate, or use, a hard drive.

Which means, if cannot mount at all, it’s either encrypted (protected) or faulty (unavailable).

If it is encrypted you should be able to enter a FileVault password at some point. Have a look https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204837#turnoff

If it’s completely unavailable you could try a chat with www.getsupport.apple.com or visit a nearby Apple Store, to attempt figuring out if the hard drive has failed.

Good luck!

Vicko

Sep 1, 2020 3:25 AM in response to Helpme_with_this_problem

Hi,

For some reason your OS can’t see your hard drive. This could be because the system is corrupted, the hard drive failed or your HD is encrypted.

FIRST OF ALL, do you have any backup at all? As a rule of thumb the important stuff has to always be backed up either to some cloud service or external disk.

IF YOU HAVE NO BACKUP, consider if you are willing to erase and lose data, otherwise you might want to look for some data recovery company to try and salvage your data.

Try this:

• Make sure you have WiFi or Ethernet connection available for the next step.

• Start on recovery mode with command + option + R when turning your Mac on.

• Select disk utility. You should have an option to View - All devices or something similar on your menu.

• Can you see any hard drive there? Is it greyed out? If so, try to Mount the greyed out disk from the top menu. If your disk is encrypted you’ll need the encryption password (this is user generated, either you or a previous user needs to have the password as Apple cannot retrieve it).

• Try running First Aid on all disks and see if anything is found. The system will try to correct potential file structure errors.

• IF YOU ARE WILLING TO ERASE DATA, can you select the uppermost drive to the left (once you select View all devices)? If so, select that disk and erase it.

• After erasing it, you can quit disk utility and attempt installing macOS again.

Hope this helps.

Vicko

How to reinstall mac os x when mac is stuck in boost screen ( please help )

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.