Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

So many issues since iMovie update?

Was in the middle of editing a YouTube video and against my better judgement decided to update iMovie as the App Store notification had been bugging me for a few days.

Since updating, I now can't 'crop to fill' or 'Ken Burns' at all, I click the crop icon and it simply comes up with an option to 'Crop' which then does nothing when clicked. Though I tried rotating to see if it'd do anything and it seems to only work on whatever item you last clicked in the library.

It also no longer tells me clip durations while hovering over them, and when clicking the info icon it simply says Xs of @!?%s.

I also tried an overlay and that doesn't seem to be recognised at all. the overlay goes over as is expected but the options that are usually presented don't come up.

Blows my mind Apple could release an update with so many glitches and not know. Anyone got any advice?

P.S. I've tried restarting, copying my timeline into a new project etc and all to no avail.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 3:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 3:51 AM

iMovie is working fine for me so there is probably an issue with your computer and/or copy of iMovie.

For a start, try resetting/deleting the preferences.

Hold down the  Cmd and Option keys as you launch FCP X/iMovie and a window will appear asking if you wish to delete the preferences. 

Click “Delete Preferences” and FCP X/iMovie will open in the default (as-new) mode with no projects etc. on the interface. 

You will have to navigate to any project you were working on and reopen it. 

Deleting preferences is completely safe and because of its simplicity it should be the first thing you do when troubleshooting.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2020 3:51 AM in response to ShawnPsych

iMovie is working fine for me so there is probably an issue with your computer and/or copy of iMovie.

For a start, try resetting/deleting the preferences.

Hold down the  Cmd and Option keys as you launch FCP X/iMovie and a window will appear asking if you wish to delete the preferences. 

Click “Delete Preferences” and FCP X/iMovie will open in the default (as-new) mode with no projects etc. on the interface. 

You will have to navigate to any project you were working on and reopen it. 

Deleting preferences is completely safe and because of its simplicity it should be the first thing you do when troubleshooting.

So many issues since iMovie update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.