Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot update operating system from El Capitan to High Sierra

I have a macbook ( mid 2010 13"). The operating system was updated a couple of years ago from Snow leopard to El Capitan ( yes I know, I am a dinosaur). I have tried unsuccessfully to update the system today- in App Store using Update tab it is stating NO UPDATES AVAILABLE. I have checked the check boxes and these are activated to accept updates. I found out that the latest operating system comparable with this model is High Sierra. The newest system Catalina is not available for this very elderly machine!

I have no idea how to access this as no updates are available. Any bright ideas very happily received. As I am not the most switched on technically, I really struggle with this sort of thing. Thanks folks!

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 12:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 12:59 PM

You are not asking about updating but about upgrading. Your model is able to be upgraded to High Sierra: How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra.

Similar questions

3 replies

Sep 2, 2020 1:11 PM in response to DollyDeux

Exactly, though similar sounding updates and upgrade are quite distinctive.

Mac OS X naming convention consists of three parts.

w.y.z

w.y = is a version upgrade (typically annual). These are typically an overhaul of the entire system. The App Store is where you find these.

z = is an update to the upgrade that adds features to the upgrade and optimizes security. http://downloads.apple.com/ is where you find these.

Cannot update operating system from El Capitan to High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.