Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MY mac book pro 13 inch model A2289 not detecting second external monitor 27 inch

MY mac book pro 13 inch model A2289 not detecting second external monitor 27 inch.

both 27 inch monitor displays the same content. i tried arrangements but one of the monitor is not shows up there all i can see is one monitor or one monitor plus laptop screen.

Any idea and fix ?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 2:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2020 12:45 PM

I am using below USB C adapter to connect to MAC which supports three displays

No, it really doesn't 'support' three displays. This is from the link you provided to the Amazon page:

As you can see, the dock is limited to a single extended desktop even though it can show it on three displays. As you can see, it shows the Mac 'non-mirror mode' – the image makes it clear that you're not going to get separate desktops on the external displays.

I'd suggest a dock from Elgato, OWC, Belkin, Kensington or Brydge (Stone Pro) as those will provide true dual display support (i.e. connect two displays and get different content on them). There's a reason those docks cost ~3x the one you bought.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2020 12:45 PM in response to suresh_ocp

I am using below USB C adapter to connect to MAC which supports three displays

No, it really doesn't 'support' three displays. This is from the link you provided to the Amazon page:

As you can see, the dock is limited to a single extended desktop even though it can show it on three displays. As you can see, it shows the Mac 'non-mirror mode' – the image makes it clear that you're not going to get separate desktops on the external displays.

I'd suggest a dock from Elgato, OWC, Belkin, Kensington or Brydge (Stone Pro) as those will provide true dual display support (i.e. connect two displays and get different content on them). There's a reason those docks cost ~3x the one you bought.

Sep 3, 2020 1:07 PM in response to suresh_ocp

Hi suresh_ocp,

We understand you're having a problem with an external monitor. We're happy to help.

Now it sounds like you're using two external monitors. Is the problem specific to that one monitor, or just when two are connected? For example if you disconnect the monitor that is currently working, then connect the other monitor in its place, does it work?

If both monitors are working individually, the display resolutions of them may be causing an issue. The MacBook Pro will support one 5K display or two 4K displays. So if the monitors are 5K resolution displays for example, you'll only be able to use one at a time. You can find more information on using multiple displays with your computer here: Use multiple displays with your MacBook Pro 

You can also find some more troubleshooting steps for issues with external monitors here: Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac

We hope this helps. Take care!

MY mac book pro 13 inch model A2289 not detecting second external monitor 27 inch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.