Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keyboard works for log in password but keyboard doesn’t work at all when logged in

If I log out, I can type in the device password to log back in. When I am logged in, the keyboard is non-functional in any apps (but the trackpad is still working).

I took the MacBook for service because the keyboard wasn’t working at all (the even at log in stage) and have just had it returned with a note the “top case with keyboard” has been replaced.

As the keyboard works at log in stage but not after logging in, I am wondering if this is a settings issues the community might be able to help me with.

Thank you

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 4, 2020 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2020 2:30 PM

Hi Pinkotosim,

It sounds as though you had the MacBook's top case with keyboard replaced, but now you can't use the keyboard after logging in. Here's what we'd do in this situation.

We'd confirm that you can't use an external keyboard after logging in on your Mac. This will be a workaround until you can bring the Mac back to the service center where it was originally serviced. Give the service center a call and explain what's going on. They'll be able to provide more information on how to get this fixed, so you're back in working order again.

Safe travels, take care!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2020 2:30 PM in response to Pinkotosim

Hi Pinkotosim,

It sounds as though you had the MacBook's top case with keyboard replaced, but now you can't use the keyboard after logging in. Here's what we'd do in this situation.

We'd confirm that you can't use an external keyboard after logging in on your Mac. This will be a workaround until you can bring the Mac back to the service center where it was originally serviced. Give the service center a call and explain what's going on. They'll be able to provide more information on how to get this fixed, so you're back in working order again.

Safe travels, take care!

keyboard works for log in password but keyboard doesn’t work at all when logged in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.