Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

are Skin/Protective covers/Palm Rest/Keyboard guards and Protective Cases not advisable to use?

I've been an apple user for more than a decade now and i have always use protection to keep all my apple devices safe from any type of external damages (like scratches). However, I read that you do not advise the use of keyboard/palm guards because it will defeat the purpose of the laptop design. By this, does this mean that we should not use any type of skin guards (screen, keyboard, palm and track pads) and any type of protective cases (external)? If so, how can we keep our laptop safe and prevent scratches? Please advise.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 5, 2020 6:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2020 9:36 AM

This is primarily a user-to-user support forum; other Apple users like you, not Apple. See the following from Apple (if you haven’t already): Do not use palm rest or keycap covers on a Mac notebook with a Retina display - Apple Support

2 replies

Sep 5, 2020 10:55 AM in response to reinduka

In addition to impeding the heat dissipation required of a Mac's enclosure, external cases and "skins" have a tendency to trap abrasive contaminants, resulting in scratching the case anyway.

If a Mac can't dissipate heat effectively, one of the first things it does is reduce its CPU's performance. Lots of people don't know when their Mac isn't working as fast as it could.

are Skin/Protective covers/Palm Rest/Keyboard guards and Protective Cases not advisable to use?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.