Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts showing up in new texts, but not in Contacts app (or anywhere else)

A couple weeks ago my phone deleted names attached to numbers in phone calls and texts. So all previous calls and text messages have no names attached to them.

BUT (!!) when I start a new text, all the contacts (even email addresses) show up when I start to type in names in the “To” field. Those names then disappear again when I write the actual message.

I have tried all of the usual fixes — checking the “Groups” settings in contacts, checking iCloud, force restarting the phone, resetting network settings. Oddly, some contacts are still in Contacts, but it’s really random and only about 10% of them.

Is there a way to recover theses lost contacts? There are clearly in here somewhere.

See the pictures below to see a great example:

iPhone 7, iOS 13

Posted on Sep 5, 2020 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2020 11:13 AM

Figured it out. It was actually a Google account auth/mapping issue getting confused with my work setup (which uses GSuite). I’ve had the same setup for about a year; don’t know what or how it changed recently. Had to reassign my personal Google account out of GSuite (GoogleAcountPolicy) and back to the iPhone. Weird

Again, thanks for replying

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2020 11:13 AM in response to Eric Root

Figured it out. It was actually a Google account auth/mapping issue getting confused with my work setup (which uses GSuite). I’ve had the same setup for about a year; don’t know what or how it changed recently. Had to reassign my personal Google account out of GSuite (GoogleAcountPolicy) and back to the iPhone. Weird

Again, thanks for replying

Contacts showing up in new texts, but not in Contacts app (or anywhere else)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.