Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

network location setting need changing regularly

I have a situation where I need to regularly re set the internet connection by SYSTEM PREFS > NETWORK > and change the LOCATION from auto by setting a new one 

It started on my previous iMac using Mojave and I put up with it as I knew I’d be getting a newer machine soon & thought it may be network hardware related.

I now have a newer machine (re-furb iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015 4ghz i7, 16gb ram) which runs Catalina

I set up the newer iMac using the time machine backup from my old iMac - the problem still exist (so I guess it’s not hardware related)

I googled some info and replaced some preferences files

nameley

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

com.apple.network.eapolclient.configuration.plist

com.apple.wifi.message-tracer.plist

NetworkInterfaces-pre-upgrade-new-target.plist

NetworkInterfaces-pre-upgrade-source.plist

NetworkInterfaces.plist

preferences-pre-upgrade-new-target.plist

preferences-pre-upgrade-source.plist

hoping that that my fix the problem - however the problem still exists - any suggestions?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 5, 2020 8:21 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Sep 6, 2020 3:43 PM in response to smartabrett

Have you made a new location???

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Sys Prefs>Network>highlight the Interface you're using>Advanced>TCP/IP>Configure IPv4: Using DHCP.

If using Wifi, instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

System Preferences>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Apply.

network location setting need changing regularly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.