Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Confession! ...and....setting up the Network Preferences for Wifi with Locations on my iMac 27" for all of my devices?

CONFESSION: It took me nearly a week to figure out that the Airport Extreme card was not an AirPort and that it couldn't be used as such. I'm not great at network stuff (lived mostly in the UI/UX world in tech) and have only been on Apple devices for a couple of years...

Anyone have any suggestions for how to set up my "Home" location in the Network Sys Prefs on my home/local network on my iMac?

Two quirky things I'd also love to get resolved are first, Apple Maps thinks where I live, my home, is in the middle of the Chicago River (it's not) and continuously updates my significant location of home to reflect as much.***please enjoy the screenshot below...and yes, my precise location is enabled for all of the relevant applications. :-)

The other is that I don't want to use private addresses on my home network. Ideally, I'd find one set up for all of the devices plus resolve these two issues.

I use an Eero 6 with the Secure (not Secure+) plan via RCN provided Internet. My Mac has an Airport Extreme card (details follow).

Software Versions:

CoreWLAN: 16.0 (1657)

CoreWLANKit: 16.0 (1657)

Menu Extra: 17.0 (1728)

System Information: 15.0 (1502)

IO80211 Family: 12.0 (1200.12.2b1)

Diagnostics: 11.0 (1163)

AirPort Utility: 6.3.9 (639.15)

Interfaces:

en1:

Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x16F)

Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.77.111.1 AirPortDriverBrcmNIC-1675.1)

I have found the articles about Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points and the others offered on this site. I'd like recommendations of any other blogs or websites that may have a simple step by step guide to setting up the Network Preferences for Wifi with Locations that will not auto-update.

***This screen grab at least makes it look like I could be in a van down by the river under the bridge...

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 10:46 AM

You are WAY WAY WAY over thinking how to setup your network. Simply connect each of your Wi-Fi devices to your network and forget about it. If you don't have adequate coverage in your home you may be a candidate for another Eeero 6 as the base unit you have is good for about 1500 sq. feet another would extend it for another 1500 sq. ft or so. Other than that that is really all you need to be concerned about.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2021 10:46 AM in response to willweaverwords

You are WAY WAY WAY over thinking how to setup your network. Simply connect each of your Wi-Fi devices to your network and forget about it. If you don't have adequate coverage in your home you may be a candidate for another Eeero 6 as the base unit you have is good for about 1500 sq. feet another would extend it for another 1500 sq. ft or so. Other than that that is really all you need to be concerned about.

Confession! ...and....setting up the Network Preferences for Wifi with Locations on my iMac 27" for all of my devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.