Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Under “Remove your personal information from your old device,” step 2. Says to “Back up your device.” If I have used Quick Start to transfer what I want to my new iPad, why would I back up my old iPad before I remove everything from it?

I got a new iPad and am giving my old iPad away, so I found the instructions to remove my personal information from my old one before I give it away. Under “Remove your personal information from your old device,” step 2 says to “Back up your device.” If I have already transferred my information to my new iPad and am getting ready to give my old iPad away, why would I need to back my old iPad up before I remove the content and settings on the old iPad? If I back up the old iPad, will it overwrite my backup on iCloud for my new iPad?

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Sep 6, 2020 2:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2020 2:58 PM

It sounds like you did things in an order not anticipated by whatever directions you were following.

Apparently you “moved in” to your new iPad before clearing out your old one.

In that case, there’s no need to back up your old one.

But follow all other directions here.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2020 2:58 PM in response to MslaGriz

It sounds like you did things in an order not anticipated by whatever directions you were following.

Apparently you “moved in” to your new iPad before clearing out your old one.

In that case, there’s no need to back up your old one.

But follow all other directions here.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Sep 6, 2020 3:21 PM in response to sberman

Those are the instructions I am referring to. And, those instructions tell you to “move into” your new iPad before clearing out your old one. Step 1 of those instructions tell you to transfer info to your new iPad using Quick Start. Then, Step 2 tells you to back up your old iPad. And, that was my question - why would you need to back up your old iPad if you are getting ready to reset everything?

Under “Remove your personal information from your old device,” step 2. Says to “Back up your device.” If I have used Quick Start to transfer what I want to my new iPad, why would I back up my old iPad before I remove everything from it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.