Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp Windows install issue

When attempting to create a bootcamp partition and then install Windows my Mac Mini becomes unresponsive. I’m able to start bootcamp, partition the HD, download the Windows tools and then the Mac reboots to a black screen and becomes unresponsive. I then have to hold the power button to shut down the mini and then reboot into OS X like nothing happened. I’m attempting to install Windows 10 64-bit and I’ve tried two different Windows ISO downloads with no luck. I’ve tried everything I know to do and I’ve never had this issue before.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Sep 6, 2020 7:09 PM

Similar questions

14 replies

Sep 7, 2020 8:01 AM in response to Bob Croslin

Mac Mini 2018 and the OS is Catalina 10.15.6

More info from this morning: I'm able to do a hard shut down by way of the power button on the mini and I can then reboot and I'm able to get to the system startup disk on restart. I'm given the option of booting into Windows via the bootcamp partition that I created but then I get a blue Windows 10 icon and then the Mac Mini becomes unresponisve again. I've tried this a few times and then I gave up and rebooted back into OS X. In the sys prefs under startup disk I'm not given the option to reboot into the Windows bootcamp partition. It's simply not there. Installing Windows via bootcamp has never been easy or straightforward but I've always been able to get it installed in the past and we're talking on everything from old G5 towers to MBP's and even the Mac Mini I'm trying to install on but it's never been impossible. Not sure what's changed.

Sep 7, 2020 10:05 AM in response to Loner T

I've tried re-partitioning maybe 5-6 times so I can't believe it would be an APFS corruption. Checking the partition in disk utility shows it's an NTFS volume. I wish there was an easy way to create bootable media to do the install like in earlier version of bootcamp.

Intel GPU drivers could be it but not sure what the work-a-round would be.

Sep 7, 2020 5:34 PM in response to Loner T

The BC drivers package is 7139. The Windows ISO is the latest available from Microsoft's site.

When I start up BC assistant I see messages saying it's deleting Time Machine backups and then it says it's making room in iCloud for the installation. I don't remember seeing either of these messages wen I've installed Windows successfully.

Sep 7, 2020 7:17 PM in response to Loner T

Glad you got the same messages. I reset the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM and tried the installation again. The Mini goes through the following steps in BC assistant:

Downloads Windows support files

Partitions disk

Copy’s Windows files/ saves 7139

I enter credentials to make system changes

Mac reboots with chime

Screen goes black

Mac becomes unresponsive 

I’m not seeing the blue Windows logo on reboot. Weirdly, I’m not able to turn my monitor off unless I pull the hdmi cable. When I plug the hdmi back in my monitor says it’s not receiving a signal. The power light on the mini is on.

btw, thank you for the help on this. I’m stumped.

Bootcamp Windows install issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.