Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install Windows 10 on my Intel Mac with bootcamp

I am planning to retire my old MacBook Pro (2017) and preparing to install Windows 10 on it so I can play some Windows games at the weekend. Everything went smooth with Bootcamp Assistant. However, I got an error message saying 'windows could not update the computer's boot configuration installation cannot proceed' when the installation was almost done.

After that, my mac rebooted to macOS as normal and the installation was not completed. Windows 10 ISO was downloaded from Microsoft website and macOS is up to date!

Anyone knows how to fix this?

Posted on Mar 21, 2023 12:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2023 4:15 AM

100GB of space is enough, there are many restrictions on using bootcamp to install Windows 10 on the intel Mac. Here are a few tweaks you can make to your Mac before installing Windows 10:

1. Turn off FileVault on your Mac. Because FileVault is a built-in encryption feature capable of encrypting the entire system drive, if FileVault is enabled, Windows will suffer from slow performance and prolonged startup times when working on a Mac.

2. Update macOS to the latest version (such as Ventura or Monterey). The latest version of Boot Camp is optimized for the latest version of macOS for better performance and stability.

If bootcamp fails again for you, I recommend you an easy way. UUbyte ISO Editor as an alternative to Bootcamp can help you create a Windows 10 bootable USB on Mac. After that, you can use this bootable USB to install Windows 10 on Intel Mac. I used this app two times and it worked nicely on my Mac.

For more detailed steps, go and take a read from this page:

https://www.uubyte.com/blog/failed-to-install-windows-10-on-intel-mac/

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2023 4:15 AM in response to Alisonzil

100GB of space is enough, there are many restrictions on using bootcamp to install Windows 10 on the intel Mac. Here are a few tweaks you can make to your Mac before installing Windows 10:

1. Turn off FileVault on your Mac. Because FileVault is a built-in encryption feature capable of encrypting the entire system drive, if FileVault is enabled, Windows will suffer from slow performance and prolonged startup times when working on a Mac.

2. Update macOS to the latest version (such as Ventura or Monterey). The latest version of Boot Camp is optimized for the latest version of macOS for better performance and stability.

If bootcamp fails again for you, I recommend you an easy way. UUbyte ISO Editor as an alternative to Bootcamp can help you create a Windows 10 bootable USB on Mac. After that, you can use this bootable USB to install Windows 10 on Intel Mac. I used this app two times and it worked nicely on my Mac.

For more detailed steps, go and take a read from this page:

https://www.uubyte.com/blog/failed-to-install-windows-10-on-intel-mac/

Mar 22, 2023 12:37 AM in response to Alisonzil

If you want to successfully install Windows 10 on Intel Mac using Boot Camp,a few points to pay attention to:

Make sure that there's enough free space on Mac. Cannot be less than 150GB.

A complete Windows 10 installation media.

Turn off FileVault on Mac.

Upgrade macOS to Ventura or Monterey.

Some underlying factors cannot be listed one by one.....

Obviously Boot Camp is not the best approach to install Windows 10 on Intel Mac, sometimes it complicates the problem, you can try other alternatives.

Mar 30, 2023 6:52 PM in response to AntonioLeeBanderas

AntonioLeeBanderas wrote:

The more space available on your Mac, the better, the better. Since both macOS and Windows will be installed on separate partitions. Sufficient free space provides them with some empty buffers.

There are 100 GB free space available for Windows. This should be fine, right? I guess the issue has nothing to do with the storage space.

Can't install Windows 10 on my Intel Mac with bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.