Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 13" crashes

Question: My Macbook Pro 13" Mid 2012 / 2.5 Ghz Intel core i5. Memory 8GB 1600 Mhz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD 4000 1536 MB running high sierra freezes all the time. UG!

1. Zapped the pram, Twice now.
  2. Screen gets truncated into squares when trying to boot up.
  3. Boots up and then......... Freezes.
  4. Note: wants me to update to latest software but don't know ion this will fix it.

In general I have an old mac that needs to be nursed through one more year of school without leaving this mortal coil with our spending money that can go towards school.

Any suggestions from the collective hive would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 6, 2020 11:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 3:47 AM

HI back,

Thank you for your reply. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Strange that you should mention a new hard-drive replacement. Hmmm... The hard drive was replaced in July of this year with a new/rebuilt one. That may be the culprit???

Regardless, I'll try first what you have suggested and then go from there. I shall return with a follow-up.

Cheers

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2020 3:47 AM in response to jibinjcb7

HI back,

Thank you for your reply. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Strange that you should mention a new hard-drive replacement. Hmmm... The hard drive was replaced in July of this year with a new/rebuilt one. That may be the culprit???

Regardless, I'll try first what you have suggested and then go from there. I shall return with a follow-up.

Cheers

Sep 7, 2020 12:03 AM in response to N49th

Try fully reinstalling the Mac Os and upgrade it to the latest version:

You can do this in one step by pressing and holding option+Command+R together immediately after pressing the power button.

This will take you to the recovery mode, connect it to a stable WiFi connection. Go to the disk utility and select your drive and run a first aid. after completion close the disk utility and click on reinstall OS where you can see the catalina logo ( latest MacOS). Complete the installation and see if its working.

If this does not solve the issue. you may be having a failing hard disk which should be replaced. Try taking your laptop to the nearest service center.

MacBook Pro 13" crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.