Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4K iTunes movies only play in HD but Apple shows play in 4k as expected

For several weeks I haven't been able to play any movies purchased as 4k in iTunes in 4K. They only play back in HD on my Apple TV 4K. They show in the menu as 4k but after hitting play they are in HD. It happens with Dolby Vision and HDR.

HOWEVER... Apple TV4K movies and TV shows play back in 4k, as do Disney and Netflix 4k. The problem is only with iTunes movies.

I've tried tons of settings, changing cables, calling Apple, all with no success.

I'm guessing a lot of people also have this issue but they don't realize/notice it...

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 7:08 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Sep 7, 2020 9:33 AM in response to Gerry Curtis

Good speed but what about the bandwidth where the Apple TV is located? A common problem as users begin adding more Internet devices (lights, TVs, phones, tablets, computers, thermostats, Alexa devices, door locks etc....) is their old network simply does not have the bandwidth to handle everything being attached. Speed is only one aspect of a network, ISPs like to brag about their speed but they cannot advise on the bandwidth coverage in their customers homes as each home is different so it is up to the customer to ensure they have an adequate coverage within their home.

Please answer the following:

• Approximate square footage of your home.
  • How many stories does you home have?
  • How many Internet devices are connected to your network?

4K iTunes movies only play in HD but Apple shows play in 4k as expected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.