Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Damage to top case?

2019 13” MacBook Pro with Touch Bar fell off my couch onto a carpeted floor. Screen went black. Mirrored MacBook display onto a 2nd screen and the thing worked perfectly. Had to send the Pro to Apple for repair as I couldn’t get a genus bar appointment for 5 to 7 days. So Apple received the Pro on 9/7 and sent me a communication saying the top cover was damaged and so the cost would be $299 plus tax for repair. I have AppleCare Plus and so was anticipating a $29 charge for the new screen, again, as the computer worked perfectly well when mirrored to the 2nd screen. I’ve now been on the phone with an Apple rep for over 20 minutes trying to get a sense of what the damage was (no, it’s not listed on the check my repair status page) and the woman, who’s very nice and trying to be helpful, still can’t tell me what was damaged. This seems wrong. Well, it seems shady. But to me that qualifies as wrong. So now I’m paying $312 or thereabouts for...what, exactly? Anyone ever experienced anything like this? Finally, it now seems that I’ll be without my computer for another week or more which, for me, creates a real problem for work.

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 1:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 9:17 PM

It is possible the repair depot noticed other signs of accidental damage to another part. Or another part is showing as defective with their diagnostics or testing.

I would suggest contacting Apple again and ask for specific details on which parts are being replaced and why those parts are being replaced. If those parts are being replaced due to accidental damage, then ask to see photos of the additional damage. I know when our organization's Apple laptops are mailed to an Apple repair depot through an AASP the repair depot many times will provide the AASP with photos showing the extra damage which requires an increased repair cost. This doesn't always occur, but it does occur many times. Granted this is much easier to do when working with an AASP on your behalf. I've never had to deal with Apple directly outside of an AASP for the mail-in repairs.

When you receive the laptop back from the repair depot it will include a report of the parts which were replaced during the repair.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2020 9:17 PM in response to dajama1234

It is possible the repair depot noticed other signs of accidental damage to another part. Or another part is showing as defective with their diagnostics or testing.

I would suggest contacting Apple again and ask for specific details on which parts are being replaced and why those parts are being replaced. If those parts are being replaced due to accidental damage, then ask to see photos of the additional damage. I know when our organization's Apple laptops are mailed to an Apple repair depot through an AASP the repair depot many times will provide the AASP with photos showing the extra damage which requires an increased repair cost. This doesn't always occur, but it does occur many times. Granted this is much easier to do when working with an AASP on your behalf. I've never had to deal with Apple directly outside of an AASP for the mail-in repairs.

When you receive the laptop back from the repair depot it will include a report of the parts which were replaced during the repair.

Damage to top case?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.