Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

trouble waking up from sleep

My fairly new MacBook Pro (Catalina) has difficulty waking up from sleep. It will flash the screen (and the monitor I have attached as well), sometimes for as long as 90 seconds! Once fully awake, it behaves fine. It behaves a little better if I actually put it to sleep, rather than let it time out, but some times it flashes even then. Even stranger, it will wake up in the middle of the night! Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 5:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 6:11 PM

econklin4 wrote:

My fairly new MacBook Pro (Catalina) has difficulty waking up from sleep. It will flash the screen (and the monitor I have attached as well), sometimes for as long as 90 seconds! Once fully awake, it behaves fine. It behaves a little better if I actually put it to sleep, rather than let it time out, but some times it flashes even then. Even stranger, it will wake up in the middle of the night! Any ideas?

Well I have certainly seen the screen flash, with no other associated issues— but not 90 sec. of length.

Sleep issues Try resetting the SMC https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2020 6:11 PM in response to econklin4

econklin4 wrote:

Well I have certainly seen the screen flash, with no other associated issues— but not 90 sec. of length.

Sleep issues Try resetting the SMC https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Sep 20, 2020 12:26 AM in response to leroydouglas

Ok, I have tried the approach recommended in this message, and it has improved things some what, but the problem is not solved. The period of flashing is somewhat shorter, usually less than a minute, but still annoying. It continues to wake up in the middle of the night for no perceptible reason, too. There is definitely something wrong. Shall I just wait till the Genius Bars are open again? (I'm in Hawaii, which is shut down following a second, greater surge in August).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.