Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3.5mm EarPod's volume controls are not working on iPod Classic - MC297LL (160GB)

Hi Everyone,

The volume controls of my 3.5mm EarPods are not working with my iPod classic (MC297LL - 160GB; Firmware 2.0.4), however, the same EarPods are working fine with my iPod Nano 5th Gen. I can hear the audio fine but the controls aren't working as they work in nano.

Is there something wrong with my iPod classic? I checked the EarPod's manual, it states iPod classic should work fine with the volume controls.

Can you someone help me diagnose the issue.

Regards,

Abhilash

iPod Classic

Posted on Sep 8, 2020 8:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2020 6:40 PM

You did narrow down to the issue is NOT the EarPods (because it works in iPod nano 5th gen).

You iPod (MC297LL) would support in-line remote -- but look like 2 possible issues:

1. headphone jack (also contains the "hold" switch)
  2. logic board issue

Usually #1 would be the common problem I have encountered. If you can live with it, I will suggest you to leave it along.

Opening iPod classic is a MAJOR pain -- let along to run the diagnostic within.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2020 6:40 PM in response to abhilash.karki

You did narrow down to the issue is NOT the EarPods (because it works in iPod nano 5th gen).

You iPod (MC297LL) would support in-line remote -- but look like 2 possible issues:

1. headphone jack (also contains the "hold" switch)
  2. logic board issue

Usually #1 would be the common problem I have encountered. If you can live with it, I will suggest you to leave it along.

Opening iPod classic is a MAJOR pain -- let along to run the diagnostic within.

Sep 9, 2020 5:00 AM in response to samtenor

@Samtenor I appreciate your response. This is helpful.

I will make peace with my iPod. But somewhere down the road, I'll try to replace the jack and hold switch component. I've previously opened my 7th gen. to replace the touch wheel and I agree, it was a major operation (almost lost my thumb, in the process). I hope replacing the jack solves the issue.

Again, thanks for confirming that the EarPod's volume controls do work with my iPod.

Cheers,

Abhilash

3.5mm EarPod's volume controls are not working on iPod Classic - MC297LL (160GB)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.