Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft says I have to re-purchase Office 2019 Home and Student, after my new Mac was repaired.

Yes, I have posted my problem with Microsoft. No replies. That's OK, the people here are much smarter anyway.

Apple replaced the motherboard on my 2 month old Mac Mini. Microsoft says I have to re-purchase Office 2019 Home and Student.

I logged into my Microsoft account and found my order for Office 2019 Home and Student.   I attempted to do a re-installation on the SAME Mac Mini (with the new motherboard). Microsoft says that that serial number is already being used.

Interestingly, the computer serial number has not changed. I've been successfully reinstalling other software with no fuss.

It would be a shame to have to re-purchase software that I purchased only two months ago.

Suggestions welcome.

Posted on Sep 8, 2020 3:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2020 9:57 PM

Well, here's how I solved my problem. I have a habit of keeping a copy of installer files. (Especially from Microsoft)

I ran the installer again, I was able to login to my Microsoft account as part of the installation process, and the installation worked.  The hard part was selecting the appropriate software on my Microsoft list.  Microsoft showed 2 copies of the exact same program (Office Home and Student 2019), I guessed and got lucky.

The whole process took several hours to figure out but I finally got there. I compare this with Apple's App Store, where anything that I have purchased there can be re-downloaded and installed every day if I choose. The only limitation is a maximum of 5 computers per account.  If I get a new Mac, I just de-authorize the old Mac and authorize a new Mac.

I do appreciate everyones assistance.  THANKS!!!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2020 9:57 PM in response to Ziatron

Well, here's how I solved my problem. I have a habit of keeping a copy of installer files. (Especially from Microsoft)

I ran the installer again, I was able to login to my Microsoft account as part of the installation process, and the installation worked.  The hard part was selecting the appropriate software on my Microsoft list.  Microsoft showed 2 copies of the exact same program (Office Home and Student 2019), I guessed and got lucky.

The whole process took several hours to figure out but I finally got there. I compare this with Apple's App Store, where anything that I have purchased there can be re-downloaded and installed every day if I choose. The only limitation is a maximum of 5 computers per account.  If I get a new Mac, I just de-authorize the old Mac and authorize a new Mac.

I do appreciate everyones assistance.  THANKS!!!

Sep 8, 2020 3:44 PM in response to Ziatron

Ziatron Said:

"Microsoft says I have to re-purchase Office 2019 Home and Student, after my new Mac was repaired.:[...] Interestingly, the computer serial number has not changed. I've been successfully reinstalling other software with no fuss.

It would be a shame to have to re-purchase software that I purchased only two months ago."

-------

Contact Microsoft for help - Not their forums.

Start Here:  Microsoft Contact Us Virtual Agent - Microsoft Support

Microsoft says I have to re-purchase Office 2019 Home and Student, after my new Mac was repaired.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.