Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring deleted iMessages - How to Request

How an I restore my text messages?

I have an iCloud Backup from a few hours before I accidentally deleted all my iMessages; I have no idea what I did, ugh.

"Messages" is an App using iCloud and it's turned on, so my messages must be in the backup, correct?

Under General --> Reset --> I chose Erase All Content and Settings.

I then followed the wizard and used the iCloud backup that was available. I restored from the backup and none of my text messages repopulated on my iPhone 8, iOS 13.7.

I Followed instructions here:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204184

iPhone 8

Posted on Sep 8, 2020 4:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2020 5:19 PM

Sorry, but if using messages in iCloud, deletions are permenant. Messages in iCloud sync your messages to iCloud so they are all the same on all your devices (every device gets all messages). But enabling it, as you have, disables messages in the iCloud backup file as that would be redundant use of iCloud space.

So again, sorry, but when using messages in iCloud, when you delete a message, it is gone for good. There is no retrieval.

Keep all your messages in iCloud - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2020 5:19 PM in response to markmsc

Sorry, but if using messages in iCloud, deletions are permenant. Messages in iCloud sync your messages to iCloud so they are all the same on all your devices (every device gets all messages). But enabling it, as you have, disables messages in the iCloud backup file as that would be redundant use of iCloud space.

So again, sorry, but when using messages in iCloud, when you delete a message, it is gone for good. There is no retrieval.

Keep all your messages in iCloud - Apple Support

Sep 8, 2020 6:02 PM in response to Michael Black

Thank you Michael for taking time to explain, I have to admit, I'm finding Apple's documents to be circular in the set up of data types. Do you have an Apple Support link to share that very clearly explains how to avid this?

I'm still confused, when I view "Manage Storage" I show having 3MB of Messages, can those be viewed or touched in some way?

Restoring deleted iMessages - How to Request

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.