Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing Text Messages After Restoring from ICloud for Date Before Deletion Occurred

I've tried three times to restore my phone based on the 02.21 back up in order to recover text messages I accidentally deleted on 02.28. All other messages restore in full (some going back to 2017) but the one I deleted won't restore. What's the deal?

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 1:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 1:26 PM

do you sync messages in iCloud?

check Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Messages.. is the switch turned on?

If so, your iPhone backup does not contain your messages and when you delete them, they are gone for good

6 replies

Mar 1, 2021 7:08 PM in response to Sterada

Sterada wrote:

That makes sense for a message that I sent after the back up on 02.21 but why would all messages sent before 02.21 come back except one?

To further clarify, you told Chris0107: “Yes, I checked an[d] am syncing messages.” You told him, therefore, you are, as he calls it, syncing messages in iCloud. I call this same action housing your messages in iCloud. As we’re both telling you, they are therefore not saved on any backup and are gone.

Missing Text Messages After Restoring from ICloud for Date Before Deletion Occurred

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.