Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing to other owned iCloud account without wiping HD

So, I have 2 different Macs...one for "home" and one for "work" and each has it's own iCloud account. My "work" Mac just got liberated and is now becoming a second "home" Mac. Rather than wipe that second home Mac, can I just sign out of all things related to that "work" iCloud account and resign in with my home account? I realize it would be best to remove all addresses, safari bookmarks, etc to avoid merging. The apps associated with my work iCloud account are actually duplicates of what I have purchased on my home iCloud account...but I would just delete and then reinstall under the home account to have the correct association. Any issues anyone sees? Again, just trying to avoid a complete wipe when everything else it set up fine.

MacBook Air

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 3:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 4:15 PM

powerbook1701 wrote:

So, I have 2 different Macs...one for "home" and one for "work" and each has it's own iCloud account. My "work" Mac just got liberated and is now becoming a second "home" Mac. Rather than wipe that second home Mac, can I just sign out of all things related to that "work" iCloud account and resign in with my home account?

Yes.

I realize it would be best to remove all addresses, safari bookmarks, etc to avoid merging.

When you sign out, you will have the option of keeping all of that. If you really want to keep things separate, choose the option to delete them.

The apps associated with my work iCloud account are actually duplicates of what I have purchased on my home iCloud account...but I would just delete and then reinstall under the home account to have the correct association. Any issues anyone sees?

You can do that if you find that it becomes a problem. For updating apps, it usually isn't that big of a problem. You may have to enter the other Apple ID and password to update, and maybe not. I have a number of Apple IDs and this was a bigger annoyance years ago. I think it has been improved since then.

One other option to consider. You can create a new local user on the computer and sign in to your personal iCloud account on that account. Then you will have both sets of data available.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2020 4:15 PM in response to powerbook1701

powerbook1701 wrote:

So, I have 2 different Macs...one for "home" and one for "work" and each has it's own iCloud account. My "work" Mac just got liberated and is now becoming a second "home" Mac. Rather than wipe that second home Mac, can I just sign out of all things related to that "work" iCloud account and resign in with my home account?

Yes.

I realize it would be best to remove all addresses, safari bookmarks, etc to avoid merging.

When you sign out, you will have the option of keeping all of that. If you really want to keep things separate, choose the option to delete them.

The apps associated with my work iCloud account are actually duplicates of what I have purchased on my home iCloud account...but I would just delete and then reinstall under the home account to have the correct association. Any issues anyone sees?

You can do that if you find that it becomes a problem. For updating apps, it usually isn't that big of a problem. You may have to enter the other Apple ID and password to update, and maybe not. I have a number of Apple IDs and this was a bigger annoyance years ago. I think it has been improved since then.

One other option to consider. You can create a new local user on the computer and sign in to your personal iCloud account on that account. Then you will have both sets of data available.

Sep 9, 2020 4:34 PM in response to etresoft

Wow. Thank you for the response. I thought I was on the right trail, but it is good to hear a confirmation as well. Yes, I want to keep that "work" iCloud account specifically "attached" to my "work" iPhone. It's music and books retained and not removed? I have very little of each, so I might remove those beforehand just to avoid confusion. Thank you again. Use your app all the time to check on the condition of my machines.

Changing to other owned iCloud account without wiping HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.