Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I don’t have an iPhone but I do have an iPad. I am trying to text my sister who has an android phone but I can’t get it to go through. I have iMessage turned on in the settings. What am I doing wrong?

I don’t have an iPhone but I do have an iPad. I am trying to text my sister who has an android phone but I can’t get it to go through. I have iMessage turned on in the settings. What am I doing wrong?

iPad, iPadOS 13

Posted on Sep 10, 2020 2:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2020 4:43 PM

Unless you also have an iPhone, your iPad cannot send or receive SMS or MMS messages to phone numbers - as these are Cellular Carrier features. Without an iPhone, your iPad is limited to sending/receiving messages via the Apple-proprietary Messages App.

Native iMessages are directed to Apple recipients by their registered email addresses - and not by their Cellular phone numbers. The Cellular number associated with your iPad’s Data-SIM is only used for account identification and billing purposes.

To use SMS/MMS messaging from the iPad Messages App, your iPhone must be logged-in to iCloud with the same AppleID - and message forwarding to your iPad must be enabled on the iPhone.

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac – Apple Support

I hope this is helpful in clarifying your iPads Messaging features.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2020 4:43 PM in response to Conradson10

Unless you also have an iPhone, your iPad cannot send or receive SMS or MMS messages to phone numbers - as these are Cellular Carrier features. Without an iPhone, your iPad is limited to sending/receiving messages via the Apple-proprietary Messages App.

Native iMessages are directed to Apple recipients by their registered email addresses - and not by their Cellular phone numbers. The Cellular number associated with your iPad’s Data-SIM is only used for account identification and billing purposes.

To use SMS/MMS messaging from the iPad Messages App, your iPhone must be logged-in to iCloud with the same AppleID - and message forwarding to your iPad must be enabled on the iPhone.

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac – Apple Support

I hope this is helpful in clarifying your iPads Messaging features.

Sep 10, 2020 2:33 PM in response to Conradson10

Conradson10 wrote:

Because you can't text from an ipad to non apple device unless you have an iphone and use continuity, you can only use imessage to other apple devices.

Sep 10, 2020 5:20 PM in response to Conradson10

SMS and MMS messages are cellular telephone voice network services. They are sent on unused bandwidth of the cellular telephone voice spectrum. Since an iPad is incapable of connecting to any cellular telephone voice network, no iPad can natively send nor receive SMS/MMS messages.

When paired with an iPhone, as already explained, the iPad can use the iPhones SMS/MMS connection to send and receive texts. But without an iPhone every iPad Is limited solely to internet messaging services, like iMessage, Skype, Google Hangouts, WhatsApp web, etc.

Google hangouts is free and offers cross platform apps.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.