Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot use specific icloud alias email address in iMessage

One of my icloud aliases is really the main email address I use for corresponding with anyone. That email address has always shown up as a checkable option to use alongside my cell phone number for iMessage along with a handful of other aliases. But now it's not showing up on any of my iOS devices or Macs anymore in iMessage and I have no idea why.

I signed in to manage my apple ID in a browser and saw that I could add an email address to the "reachable" list for iMessage, FaceTime, etc. So I manually tried to add it, the system sent an authentication code email to me, I entered the code, and it came back multiple attempts with an error and just said I couldn't use that email address with iMessage.

I thought I'd ask the question on here first before calling Apple to see if they need to intervene.

Anyone know if anything I can do to fix it on my own?

iPhone 7

Posted on Sep 10, 2020 3:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2020 3:06 PM

In case this helps anyone else, AppleCare was able to fix my issue by escalating the problem to engineering. They fixed the error on the server and after that I was once again able to add my icloud email alias to my Apple ID's Reachable At list for use in Messages and FaceTime.

Apple's intervention was necessary. Took about a week and a half of some back and forth communication about the problem and now it's solved.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2020 3:06 PM in response to David Lawrence4

In case this helps anyone else, AppleCare was able to fix my issue by escalating the problem to engineering. They fixed the error on the server and after that I was once again able to add my icloud email alias to my Apple ID's Reachable At list for use in Messages and FaceTime.

Apple's intervention was necessary. Took about a week and a half of some back and forth communication about the problem and now it's solved.

Cannot use specific icloud alias email address in iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.