Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cursor jumping around on MB Pro, but only when connected to power adapter.

I have a new 2020 13" MacBook Pro and noticed charging issues from the beginning; I used the power adapter that came in the box (USB-C) and noticed that even though it was plugged in and the charging icon appeared in the Menu Bar, the charge still was going down. I used different outlets with mixed results (sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't). At the moment, this issue no longer occurs.

The more recent issue I've been having which I suspect comes from some problem with the battery is the fact that when my MacBook Pro is connected to power, the cursor has a tendency to jump around when I let it go (usually jumps around up-down by ~6 pixels). When I unplug the adapter, the problem stops.

I tried resetting the SMC, reinstalling the OS, and I even backed up my files and wiped the disk to see if it was some kind of software issue, but it still persists. Is there anything I can do? Is there a chance this is a result of a defective battery?

I have not used any Bluetooth devices (I had BT turned off).

Posted on Sep 11, 2020 12:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2020 5:57 PM

You've done a lot of great troubleshooting already.

Have you tried using another USB-C port preferably on the other side of the laptop if you have a Touchbar model?

Try plugging the power adapter into another electrical outlet preferably on another circuit in the house. Even trying it at another physical location would be good to rule out a possible issue with the electrical service in your home. You can also try using a grounded AC Cord:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK122LL/A/power-adapter-extension-cable

If this doesn't help, then you should have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop so it can be repaired.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2020 5:57 PM in response to compling125

You've done a lot of great troubleshooting already.

Have you tried using another USB-C port preferably on the other side of the laptop if you have a Touchbar model?

Try plugging the power adapter into another electrical outlet preferably on another circuit in the house. Even trying it at another physical location would be good to rule out a possible issue with the electrical service in your home. You can also try using a grounded AC Cord:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK122LL/A/power-adapter-extension-cable

If this doesn't help, then you should have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop so it can be repaired.

Cursor jumping around on MB Pro, but only when connected to power adapter.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.