Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't find a dictionary widget anywhere

Hi. I used to have a dictionary widget and it was great. I could just look up a word in seconds. Now apple got rid of dashboard. I still need a dictionary.

I can't find a dictionary anywhere. And widgets are no longer being made.

What's the new solution?

Thanks.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 11, 2020 3:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2020 3:27 PM

Apple includes a dictionary application in your Applications folder. In its Preferences, you select, and drag the dictionaries in the order you want them to appear on the Dictionary application's toolbar. Once done, drag and drop the Dictionary application dead center of your Dock, where it is a single click away. Here is my interface:

You also have alternatives to use this dictionary for word lookups:

1. control+command+D with your pointer hovering over an (unselected) word that you want to look up.
  2. When configured in trackpad preferences, three-finger tap to also invoke a lookup when hovering over a word
  3. You can launch the Dictionary application with the result of a word entered in a Safari URI:
    1. dict://mystery
    2. Safari will prompt you for permission to open the dictionary application with that word.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2020 3:27 PM in response to JupiterSpaceport

Apple includes a dictionary application in your Applications folder. In its Preferences, you select, and drag the dictionaries in the order you want them to appear on the Dictionary application's toolbar. Once done, drag and drop the Dictionary application dead center of your Dock, where it is a single click away. Here is my interface:

You also have alternatives to use this dictionary for word lookups:

1. control+command+D with your pointer hovering over an (unselected) word that you want to look up.
  2. When configured in trackpad preferences, three-finger tap to also invoke a lookup when hovering over a word
  3. You can launch the Dictionary application with the result of a word entered in a Safari URI:
    1. dict://mystery
    2. Safari will prompt you for permission to open the dictionary application with that word.

I can't find a dictionary widget anywhere

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.