Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting photos from mac, but not icloud

Can I delete/remove photos from the photos app on my mac and keep them in icloud only? If so, how? I need to free up storage space on my mac. Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 12, 2020 12:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2020 12:47 PM

it is not possible to delete photos from your Photos Library and keep them iCloud, because iCloud is syncing the Mac with iCloud. The photos in your local copy of the photos library will always be kept identical to the iCloud Photos Library in iCloud.

To save storage on your Mac, enable "Optimise Mac Storage" in the Photos > Preferences > iCloud. iCloud will remove automatically high resolution originals to free storage, when the Mac is low on storage, and replace it by a smaller, optimised version and keep the high resolution original only in iCloud, but do not delete any photos yourself, that you want to keep. (Use iCloud Photos to store photos in iCloud - Apple Support)

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2020 12:47 PM in response to corrina293

it is not possible to delete photos from your Photos Library and keep them iCloud, because iCloud is syncing the Mac with iCloud. The photos in your local copy of the photos library will always be kept identical to the iCloud Photos Library in iCloud.

To save storage on your Mac, enable "Optimise Mac Storage" in the Photos > Preferences > iCloud. iCloud will remove automatically high resolution originals to free storage, when the Mac is low on storage, and replace it by a smaller, optimised version and keep the high resolution original only in iCloud, but do not delete any photos yourself, that you want to keep. (Use iCloud Photos to store photos in iCloud - Apple Support)

Sep 20, 2020 5:33 PM in response to léonie

Thank you very much for the response. Unfortunately I have already enabled "Optimize Mac Storage" on the Mac, but since I have about 40,000 photos in iCloud, that solution doesn't work and the photos file still takes up too much room. Not even all the photos from iCloud have been / can be downloaded to the Mac. I cannot download Microsoft Office to my Mac because there is not enough room, and I also can't download the most recent OS, so my laptop is becoming virtually unusable.

Is it possible for me to do a factory reset on the Mac and create a new Apple ID to use just for the Mac, so it won't connect to the iCloud where my photos are saved? I don't need to access photos on the Mac. I just don't want the factory reset to delete my photos from iCloud.

Thank you!

Oct 25, 2020 5:43 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Thank you both for your replies. The best case scenario for me is to have them on iCloud only. I don't ever view them on my laptop at all.

My laptop does have optimized image only. Hi-res is on iCloud, but I have so many images, that even the optimized only is taking up exactly half of my laptop's storage space, and I have zero space left. Since I don't view images on my laptop, I just want that half of my storage space back.

I'm just afraid to wipe anything off of my laptop, and it possibly delete what is on iCloud. I'd like it all to remain on iCloud only.

Oct 25, 2020 1:41 PM in response to corrina293

It will depend on how much storage you can afford for your Photos on your Mac.

Optimise storage is a slow process. Photos will try to keep as many photos locally on your Mac as the space permits, It will slowly remove more and more originals over time, if you are needing storage for other purposes.

If you need to free much storage instantly, you can force the optimisation by deleting your current Photos Library from your Mac (keep a copy of it on an external volume, just in case), then create a new, empty library and let it sync with iCloud. The new library will be initially as small as possible. See: How to force Photos for Mac to Optimise the Storage Immediately

Oct 25, 2020 4:36 PM in response to corrina293

Hi - Your other option is to completely move the library to external storage with the disadvantage that you must have the external storage connected whenever you want to use photos.

The external storage must be connected to your mac (not a network drive) and must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled), and not be used for time machine. It should not be on a memory stick, SD or similar. It stands to reason that if you want any sort of reasonable performance it should be a fast drive with a fast connection.

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

Deleting photos from mac, but not icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.