Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Speed up video playback causes robotic sounding audio

Anybody knows what causes this issue? When you adjust YouTube videos to 1.25x or even 2x speed, the audio will sound robotic and tinny.

Is it something apple can fix?

This isn't a YouTube issue. Even on Safari and other video players this issue persists. It just makes the watching experience less appealing on iOS. I heard even on macos this is a problem.

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 12, 2020 6:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2020 7:06 PM

YouTube on chrome on windows sounds way more natural when videos are sped up. It's an apple issue. I'd much rather sacrifice some CPU processing to preserve the pitch of the audio.

Safari on Mac plays worse sounds when videos are sped up because Apple doesn't preserve the pitch of the sounds. Chrome on Mac doesn't have this issue. The issue is that Apple doesn't preserve the pitch of sped up audio

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2020 7:06 PM in response to LACAllen

YouTube on chrome on windows sounds way more natural when videos are sped up. It's an apple issue. I'd much rather sacrifice some CPU processing to preserve the pitch of the audio.

Safari on Mac plays worse sounds when videos are sped up because Apple doesn't preserve the pitch of the sounds. Chrome on Mac doesn't have this issue. The issue is that Apple doesn't preserve the pitch of sped up audio

Sep 12, 2020 7:28 PM in response to KevinC8888

KevinC8888 wrote:

Pretty sure it's an html5 feature. Seen it on other discussions. Either that or other open source audio codecs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_time_stretching_and_pitch_scaling

Then I don't understand your question.

You know of a solution, use Chrome. It would appear Chrome has code within it to allow this feature.

Are you wanting that feature in iOS Safari?

Feedback for Apple goes here >>> https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Does it not work in iOS Chrome? Ask Google.

Sep 12, 2020 7:00 PM in response to KevinC8888

Anybody knows what causes this issue? When you adjust YouTube videos to 1.25x or even 2x speed, the audio will sound robotic and tinny.

Because you are playing the video back faster then it was recorded and meant to play.

Of course the audio is affected. If the audio played at 1x (normal) but the video at 2x (faster then normal), the audio/video sync would be off.

This isn't a YouTube issue. Even on Safari and other video players

It's a user issue.

Sep 12, 2020 7:10 PM in response to KevinC8888

KevinC8888 wrote:

So a Google proprietary feature. Use Google.

Not sure how any technology can allow a 2 minute video be played in 1 minute and keep audio sync AND not sound mechanical.

Speed up video playback causes robotic sounding audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.