Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo problems

Hi all,

The photos I take with my iPhone automatically go to my MacBook Air, however, when I try to view them on the Mac and double click on them to view the larger individual image they disappear and a screen with an exclamation mark inside a triangle appears ?

The odd thing is that photo's that download onto my Mac that have been taken by other people on their iPhones (i.e. their photos on my group WhatsApp etc) are all ok and I can view with no problem !

Can someone help please and if you can help can you relay the answer in 'simple' step by step terms for a woman who clearly struggles with technology - even though I've had an iPhone for years. I'm using an iPhone XR.

Many thanks

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 10:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 11:45 AM

What is the system version on your Mac? You can see the system version in the  menu in the filet corner of the main menu bar: >About this Mac.

It might be a compatibility problem: Your iPhone is running iOS 13, so it might be taking the photos in the space saving High Efficiency format HEIF. Then you need a Mac with macOS 10.13 High Sierra and Photos 3 to be able to process the images (see: Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support).

To upgrade to macOS 10.13 High Sierra see:  How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

Or how to upgrade to the most recent system version Catalina: How to upgrade to macOS Catalina - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2020 11:45 AM in response to CAMC66

What is the system version on your Mac? You can see the system version in the  menu in the filet corner of the main menu bar: >About this Mac.

It might be a compatibility problem: Your iPhone is running iOS 13, so it might be taking the photos in the space saving High Efficiency format HEIF. Then you need a Mac with macOS 10.13 High Sierra and Photos 3 to be able to process the images (see: Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support).

To upgrade to macOS 10.13 High Sierra see:  How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

Or how to upgrade to the most recent system version Catalina: How to upgrade to macOS Catalina - Apple Support

Photo problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.