Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

missing imessage photos

I just happened to open a conversation to look for a photo, and my photos are missing. I’ll attach a couple screenshots that’s confusing me how it shows the storage being used but I’m unable to see it. Also in the screenshot that illustrates the breakdown, if I open any heading under documents it’s empty but if I open review large attachments I see my missing videos.

How do I recover my photos and videos?

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 4:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2020 11:04 AM

Hello JudgeJuryExecutioner,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! It sounds like message attachments are missing in an iMessage conversation on your iPhone. You're in the right place to find a resolution.

Are you able to find the photos following the steps in the resource below?

Use Messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

"Find attachments from a conversation 

1. Open the message.
  2. Tap the name of the contact at the top of the message, then tap 
  3. You'll see Images and Attachments. Touch and hold an image or attachment to show options like Copy, Delete, and More.

To save an image or attachment outside of Messages, tap an image or attachment, tap , then select an option like Save Image or Save to Files. When you tap Save Image, it saves it to your Photos app."

If the photos don't show following the steps above, do you have Messages in iCloud currently enabled? If so, ensure that you have enough available storage on the iPhone to download the attachments, connect your iPhone to the internet and a power source, then see if the attachments will sync back to the iPhone:

Keep all your messages in iCloud - Apple Support

Cheers!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2020 11:04 AM in response to JudgeJuryExecutioner

Hello JudgeJuryExecutioner,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! It sounds like message attachments are missing in an iMessage conversation on your iPhone. You're in the right place to find a resolution.

Are you able to find the photos following the steps in the resource below?

Use Messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

"Find attachments from a conversation 

1. Open the message.
  2. Tap the name of the contact at the top of the message, then tap 
  3. You'll see Images and Attachments. Touch and hold an image or attachment to show options like Copy, Delete, and More.

To save an image or attachment outside of Messages, tap an image or attachment, tap , then select an option like Save Image or Save to Files. When you tap Save Image, it saves it to your Photos app."

If the photos don't show following the steps above, do you have Messages in iCloud currently enabled? If so, ensure that you have enough available storage on the iPhone to download the attachments, connect your iPhone to the internet and a power source, then see if the attachments will sync back to the iPhone:

Keep all your messages in iCloud - Apple Support

Cheers!

Sep 16, 2020 8:20 AM in response to JudgeJuryExecutioner

Hi JudgeJuryExecutioner,

Thanks for getting back to us with the details. How much available storage space do you currently have in iCloud?

Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

Do you see a progress bar at the bottom of the Messages app when you open it and you're on the screen with the list of all of your conversations? Additionally, message attachments will sync to your devices when the iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi and a power source overnight. If you have another device that's signed in to the same Apple ID, are you seeing these missing attachments?

Take care.

missing imessage photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.