Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost all Strava workouts

Hi,

Because of a troubleshooting issue, I deleted the Strava app from my iPhone and immediately reinstalled it again.

But now all my Strava workouts have disappeared from my Activity app. Training minutes are still present, so the data must still be there. But it doesn't get a mention anymore as a Strava workout both on the Workouts screen in the iPhone Activity app as well as at the bottom on the History page. So no data about calories, heart rate etc.

Strava has full access to Apple Health, I've checked that both from Strava preferences and within Apple Health itself.

Any ideas on how to get those workouts back?

Posted on Sep 14, 2020 3:04 AM

12 replies

Sep 22, 2020 12:15 AM in response to jefvdv

I have a similar problem - even the route of my previous workouts display only the starting location. It seems to be a bigger SW problem in the Apple HealthKit database on iOS 14, since other users are reporting this as well...

I‘ve tried unpairing / re-pairing, resetting / restoring (AW + iPhone) and setting up as new (AW + iPhone) - nothing seems to work.

I guess we need to wait until Apple fixes this issue with a future SW update.

In the meantime we need to address this issue in a single community thread - this one has the most replies so far (please follow up there):

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251806066

[AW S3 on watchOS 7 + iPhone X on iOS 14]

Sep 22, 2020 1:01 AM in response to jefvdv

As per this article, Health data is being stored in iCloud, and not part of an iCloud backup.

Back up your Health data

Health information is stored in iCloud and gets encrypted as it goes between iCloud and your device, and while it's stored in iCloud. End-to-end encryption requires iOS 12 and two-factor authentication. To stop storing your Health data in iCloud, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud and turn off Health.

If you aren't using iCloud, you can back up your information in Health by encrypting your iTunes backup

copied from: Manage Health data on your iPhone, iPod touch, or Apple Watch - Apple Support

Sep 22, 2020 12:32 AM in response to Niqlash

Hi Niqlash. Thanks for your reply but you're describing and referring to a different problem.

In my case, everything is being recorded fine. But past Strava workouts are not recognised anymore as real Workouts in the Activity/Fitness app after I deleted and reinstalled the Strava app.

2 screenshots from the Health app: one from a Strava workout that gets recognised as a Strava workout, and the other one doesn't. As you can see, the raw data of the 'correct' Strava workout ends with one specific Strava record, the 'bad' one doesn't (anymore).

@ingo2711: I've got a reply back from Strava:

If previous health data has been deleted, with our updated Health Kit integration, only the past 30 days will sync over to the Health app. This is also the same behavior for importing activities from the Workout app.
Terribly sorry about the inconvenience and please let us know if you have any other questions.

I will get back to them because I didn't delete any data, I only deleted the Strava app. I think it's still very strange that health (meta) data is being deleted when I just delete the app that recorded it. So if you do a clean install of an iPhone but you sync all your Health data with iCloud, you still lose all Workout info?

Sep 14, 2020 6:15 AM in response to jefvdv

jefvdv wrote:

Is this a question or a suggestion to do it?

Both, since you did not give us any details about what you have already tried to get the data back.

If there are no more backups, that have been made before reinstalling the app, I'm afraid, your data is lost.

Any chance, you have backed up your computer, to be able to restore the backups you made prior to the data loss?

Sep 14, 2020 6:26 AM in response to Ingo2711

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yes, I have lots of Macbook backups, but I don't backup my iPhone locally so it doesn't really matter. I only do that when I switch iPhones.

I may be wrong, but I can't believe that deleting an app also deletes all references in the Activity app. On iPhone in Settings -> Privacy -> Health -> Uninstalled apps you have a list of apps that have interacted with Health but have been deleted. I thinks this is meant to preserve the relation with the correct app, maybe you just lose the icon. Furthermore: none of the training minutes have been deleted. It seems it just doesn't want to reassociate this data with the correct app and as such, all Strava workouts were deleted.

Lost all Strava workouts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.