Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch stopped recording steps/distance

WHat do I do now? My most frequent use of the watch is to record my walking distance/steps. Now it no longer keeps track. When I push the icon to see my distance, it just shows what I did yesterday, not what I am currently doing. IF I turn on my iPhone, open the Pedometer app, then close it again, then the watch syncs with it & shows what was on the phone. But then it just stays at that number, not registering what I am doing.

Apple Stores closed - not sure what to do or what could be causing this?

Apple Watch Series 5, watchOS 6

Posted on Sep 14, 2020 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2020 10:56 AM

What does the Health app show you?

What does the Apple activity app show you?

I would try a forced reset by holding in the crown and the side button for 10 seconds until you see the Apple logo then release.

If that doesn't work and the Apple activity app and health app don't show you the correct step count I would unpair then re-pair the watch setting it up as new.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2020 10:56 AM in response to gwesq

What does the Health app show you?

What does the Apple activity app show you?

I would try a forced reset by holding in the crown and the side button for 10 seconds until you see the Apple logo then release.

If that doesn't work and the Apple activity app and health app don't show you the correct step count I would unpair then re-pair the watch setting it up as new.

Sep 15, 2020 9:47 AM in response to Randy-12

Thanks for reply. THe Health App & Activity apps are correct.

The pedometer on the phone in my poclet shows the correct distance - but what is on the watch when I tap on the pedometer on my watch face bears no realtionship to reality. For example, when my phone showed 1.5 miles this AM, the watch showed 9 steps, 0.0 mi. Right now, since the walk, the watch is showing that 1.5 that was on the phone, but it has not added the 0.5 that the phone pedometer shows I have moved since.

I'm wondering if the watch is not "connecting" to my body somehow. I've been noticing that in wearing the watch when I sleep, the Sleep Watch app shows missing heartbeats frequently while sleeping. Whether that is the watch, or my heart actually skipping, is something I need to find out (Headed to cardiologist now, actually).

IF I do that reset, does it remove all the settings, faces, etc I have on my watch?

Watch stopped recording steps/distance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.