Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airpod Pros ask to connect every time I open the case.

Every time I open the Airpod Pros case, the screen pops up that says “not your airpods” and asks me if I want to connect them or temporarily share audio. If I take the airpods out of the case, they will connect to my phone, as they have already been connected. I am having the same issue with my iPad. I have reset both devices, reset the network settings on both, reset the airpods, unpaired the airpods. Basically everything that has been suggested in articles.

The weird thing is when I reset my Airpods and then reconnect, the name I had chosen for them previous remains the same. It gives me the impression that it’s not resetting fully since it should be the factory name instead of my custom name.

Any ideas?

Only other relevant information is that I had the right Airpod Pro replaced by Apple due to static and crackling noises, so I thought maybe the right and left were different firmware versions? I haven’t been able to pair each one independently despite attempting several different ways.

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 14, 2020 7:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 4:11 PM

Hello  jojo1515,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having an issue with your AirPods Pro connecting as they should. You mentioned that you'd received a replacement for one of your AirPods. Do you recall is you used the actions in the following article, to set them up?

Set up your replacement AirPods or charging case

Also, you mentioned that you've reset them several times. Just to make sure we've got it right, you're using the actions outlined here: Reset your AirPods? Are all your devices that you connect your AirPods with, running the most up to date OS version? If not, updating them may help.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you continue to experience this issue once you're confirmed the reset process and ensured your devices are up to date, it might be a good idea to reach out to Apple Support for additional assistance. You can reach out to them directly at Get Support.

Best regards.

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2020 4:11 PM in response to jojo1515

Hello  jojo1515,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having an issue with your AirPods Pro connecting as they should. You mentioned that you'd received a replacement for one of your AirPods. Do you recall is you used the actions in the following article, to set them up?

Set up your replacement AirPods or charging case

Also, you mentioned that you've reset them several times. Just to make sure we've got it right, you're using the actions outlined here: Reset your AirPods? Are all your devices that you connect your AirPods with, running the most up to date OS version? If not, updating them may help.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you continue to experience this issue once you're confirmed the reset process and ensured your devices are up to date, it might be a good idea to reach out to Apple Support for additional assistance. You can reach out to them directly at Get Support.

Best regards.

Nov 1, 2020 6:37 AM in response to FeloGoGo

Can you elaborate / provide more detail on some of your points?

1) Forget the Airpods pro in all mac devices - how do you do that with 100% certainty they’ve been removed from all devices?

2) Log into your iCloud account - what if I am already logged in on all my devices? I already have tried signing out of iCloud and then the Airpods work. They only don’t work when I’m logged into my iCloud account in particular which leads me to believe it’s an issue with my account.

Apr 19, 2021 10:18 PM in response to jojo1515

I successfully solved this issue. What I did was:

-unpair/forget AirPods

-remove iCloud

-pair AirPods

-sign in to iCloud again

this was first tested on my old phone. The issue only happened after I got a new phone.

my AirPods now go right to the battery level screen as expected every time. Hopefully this will work out for everyone else!

Mar 2, 2021 8:12 PM in response to jojo1515

In case this is still an issue on this thread, here's an easy fix:

Settings > Bluetooth > Information icon > Forget This Device

(Note: It's okay if your airpods aren't paired at all, just skip this step)

Go to the "Find My" app

Look at the devices

Remove the airpods as a device by swiping from right to left

Attempt to reconnect the airpods again and you should be good

Sep 15, 2020 9:45 PM in response to Brian_P7

Hey Brian,

I appreciate your response. Unfortunately, I have gone through all the steps you’ve outlined and still am having the same problem. Interestingly enough, if I go through the Airpod factory reset, then connect to my phone, the Airpods will connect to my phone if I take them out of the case, but every time I open the case it will open the white box with the “not your airpods” dialogue and prompt me to reconnect. So in short, the airpods work as expected once out of the case, but every time I open the case it thinks they aren’t mine. I’ll be contacting apple support on the matter since there doesn’t seem to be a solution and have tried everything possible.

Oct 31, 2020 5:57 PM in response to jojo1515

Hello,

I am not sure if helpful but will share my experience. I had a similar situation (Every time I open the case lid I would get "Not your Airpods" or the "share audio" message).

Could not resolved via Apple support. So, after trying a few things this is what solve the problem:

1. Forget the Airpods pro in all mac devices.
  2. Log in into your icloud account (Did this on my iMac) *
  3. Reset your Airpods pro
  4. Re-connect. And that fixed the problem.

Even though it seems odd. The only explanation I could think; is that I had an icluod session open somewhere in a device that was messing stuff. So, by login into my account and do a reset/repair it recognized them.

Again, not sure if this is the solution but it worked for me. (Unless Apple did a fix today via firmware update or something) Hope this helps you.

Dec 9, 2020 10:07 AM in response to jojo1515

I had a similar experience with you and FeloGoGo.

How I perceived the problem:

1. I paired airpods to my iPhone as usually
  2. When I open the lid, it would still continue saying "Not your airpods - Connect" even though in background my iPhone still shows Bluetooth settings and there I see my airpods changing status to Connected.
  3. Close the lid, open it, again
  4. same story, airpods work (connected) but the annoying "Not your airpods" pop up again and again. Resetting airpods didn't help.
  5. My Macbook wouldn't show the airpods in the speaker menu (the only way to connect would be to pair it as a generic bluetooth device but that doesn't allow to switch airpods between devices quickly - bummer).

My guess at the root cause:

It turned out, that my Macbook had iCloud semi-connected. I remembered that when I connected iCloud, it asked me to type my AppleID, then AppleID password, then the passcode that unlocks my iPhone. Well, at that point I thought that was unnecessary and creepy so I didn't enter my iPhone's passcode. So that's why my iCloud kinda worked (even Handoff between the iPhone and Macbook) but the airpods still complained. Switching between airpods between macbook and iPhone didn't work (only manually reconnecting as a regular bluetooth device, which is annoying and slow - unacceptable).

I think when Airpods connected to the iPhone, it tried to send info about the Airpods to all other device connected to iCloud.

But since my Macbook was only semi-logged in to iCloud (read above), my iPhone would get an error in response or something like that and then probably a standard reaction to an error is to assume the airpods are not mine.

I'm a developer so I guess Apple wrote try/catch in the code without really looking into the error response and not differentiating on why the error happened, just reacting with the same "Not your airpods" to all errors.

Fix that worked:

1. I signed out of my iCloud on my Macbook,
  2. then signed in again into iCloud on my Macbook with using both AppleID password and my iPhone's passcode.
  3. Airpods got recognized in the speaker menu of the Macbook, they just started working correctly. If I open the airpods case's lid now, both macbook and iPhone react to it - as expected.

For purity, I'd remove airpods from the iPhone and macbook and reset&pair airpods again but I don't remember if I actually did it. After the iCloud full re-login, airpods started working on both iPhone and macbook and started switching between these two devices (though still manually, you need to choose airpods as your audio like you normally switch between bluetooth speakers and wired headphones - much faster and easier - no need to go to bluetooth settings).

Sep 29, 2020 9:28 AM in response to NRT4021

No resolution yet. Currently working with Apple Support to resolve the issue.

I did try my Airpods Pro on another phone with both 13.7 and 14.0 installed, and they worked just fine. I wiped my phone clean and set up as a new phone and the airpods worked. The issue is with my iCloud account, the airpods aren't registering with my account and thus won't sync across all devices.

Hoping that the Apple Support team can come up with a resolution. I suggest you reach out to them as well so that they know it's happening to multiple people.

Sep 29, 2020 9:59 AM in response to NRT4021

Update: I just spoke to Apple Support on the phone and they said this issue has now been reported by multiple people and they're working on a fix. Said to check back in with them each week for developments. Seems like it must be an ios software bug.

The auto switching feature between iphone and ipad is also not working and I guess this is all part of the same issue.

Nov 2, 2020 2:50 AM in response to jojo1515

This is exactly the same with me.

After reading your post I just tried signing out of iCloud on my phone and pairing them again and they work exactly as they should. Actually, they are still working as intended (on my phone) after signing back in to iCloud.

However if I try to pair them to my iPad signed in to the same iCloud account I still get the 'not your airpods pro' message, even after signing out and back in to iCloud on the iPad.

This can only be an iCloud issue, but no closer to understanding what it is.

Nov 8, 2020 3:01 PM in response to jojo1515

I have this problem too, and it’s very weird. It only happens on my iPhone but not my iPad. The AirPods Pro functions however, work fine including switching between devices. I tried resetting my AirPods and iPhone network settings multiple times. I hoped that with iOS updates it would go away, but even after around 3 iOS 14 updates, it’s not fixed.

Dec 1, 2020 2:33 PM in response to jojo1515

Having the same problem as well - I also had an issue where one headphone would work and then when I placed the other one in my ear, they would go silent. After resetting a few times, it switched ears and after resetting a few more times, it is working, but still offering to connect "not my airpod pros" everytime I open the case. I had these replaced last week due to the noise cancellation and static issues, so they should be the newest model. I've had a total of 5 airpods replaced because of little glitches... most were the screaming in my ear/static issue.. If it just stays with prompting me to connect a foreign airpod each time, I'm ok with that.

Jan 21, 2021 5:56 PM in response to jojo1515

My question, is why is my AirPod Pros popping up “not your AirPods pro” on my wife's phone and other iPhones when in close proximity? I even have the setting on "When Last Connected to this Phone"! I have even reset it, removed it from my phone/bluetooth, etc... Per all the info I have read on line. On my phone its ok (just keeps popping up all the time (battery levels screen). I wish apple would fix this problem, though. Ones is enough, not every few mins.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Airpod Pros ask to connect every time I open the case.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.