Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovery Key for iCloud

Hello,

I'm trying to connect my iPad 1 with my iCloud account. After entering the username and password it asks for a Recovery Key. I do not remember being given a recovery key a long time ago, however I have looked at a few articles saying how to get a new key. Unfortunately none of these work. Logging into my Apple ID on the apple website I don't get an option to generate a recovery key under security. Likewise on my Mac under Apple ID > Security there is no option to generate a key.

How do I log into my icloud account with my iPad 1?

Thanks

Chris

iPad

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 7:39 AM

I managed to fix this when on chat with a support person. It turns out that if I put in my username and password it takes me to a page that only asks for the recovery key and nothing else, however if I put in username and password followed by a 6 digit verification code generated by my phone it lets me in. Strange that it doesn’t ask you to do that but it works if you put a code in after the password!

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2020 7:39 AM in response to Michael Black

I managed to fix this when on chat with a support person. It turns out that if I put in my username and password it takes me to a page that only asks for the recovery key and nothing else, however if I put in username and password followed by a 6 digit verification code generated by my phone it lets me in. Strange that it doesn’t ask you to do that but it works if you put a code in after the password!

Sep 15, 2020 10:46 AM in response to Chrisingham05

If you have tried using a verification code for iCloud and it didn't work, I suggest you contact Apple ID Support for assistance. Something doesn't seem to be working correctly. See the Apple Support articles below for contact information.  

Apple ID - Official Apple Support.    

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support.   (Link doesn’t always load)  

Get Support          Work through the screens to get a chat option. You may have to pick a slightly different problem.

Apple Support schedule phone call

https://twitter.com/AppleSupport.          People have posted it may take an hour or more to get a response.

Sep 16, 2020 7:23 AM in response to Chrisingham05

Then that means your AppleID is not using 2 factor authentication, but is still using the older 2 step verification. 2FA has no recovery key, and when you change your AppleID from 2SV to 2FA, the recovery key no longer has any meaning or use with your AppleID.

So you will likely need to go through Apple’s AppleID account recovery process to regain access and control of that AppleID -> Recover your Apple ID when you can’t reset your password - Apple Support

Sep 16, 2020 8:01 AM in response to Chrisingham05

Any device running older versions of OS X or iOS work that way -> Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

"What if I use two-factor authentication on a device running older software?

If you use two-factor authentication with devices running older OS versions—like an Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation)—you might be asked to add your six-digit verification code to the end of your password when signing in. Get your verification code from a trusted device running iOS 9 and later or OS X El Capitan and later, or have it sent to your trusted phone number. Then type your password followed by the six-digit verification code directly into the password field."

Recovery Key for iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.