Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No extension cord comes with new Mac.

I tried using old one. It doesn’t work with Apple C cable BUT it does work if I use a different brand C cable. What’s up?

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 9:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 11:40 AM

The "genius" at UES Madison Ave store insisted there was a cord in the box and insisted I must have thrown it out. I still have the box. I now found this is a false tale circulating on internet. He was dismissive about using my old ext cord. The end is old style not like they now sell separate. Claimed they had none in stock. Again, my old ext cord does work with a replacement C Cord whereas the Apple C cord only works when I plug the block Directly into a power outlet..

30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2020 11:40 AM in response to neuroanatomist

The "genius" at UES Madison Ave store insisted there was a cord in the box and insisted I must have thrown it out. I still have the box. I now found this is a false tale circulating on internet. He was dismissive about using my old ext cord. The end is old style not like they now sell separate. Claimed they had none in stock. Again, my old ext cord does work with a replacement C Cord whereas the Apple C cord only works when I plug the block Directly into a power outlet..

Sep 18, 2020 7:59 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Bob, please! This is a NEW extension cord and as I've said, I tried 3 different ones. Simple ext, the type with a "box" and a surge protected ext ALL OK with other equipment. I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with the block and will return to "genius" bar for 3rd time and take my ext cords with me for testing block because it does work when they plug directly into a power outlet.

Sep 18, 2020 2:14 PM in response to neuroanatomist

You haven't read all of the thread. When block is plugged into "wall" outlet, the USB-C Sends power to laptop. I took the "device" ext cord with me on my 2nd visit. Genius insisted that cord was no good on the block - even thought it works fine with The USB-C purchased am from Walmart. And he said he had NO ext cords in the store! This time I'll take all 3. BTW genius insisted an ext cord came with my Mac and maybe I threw it away with box. But I never toss Apple boxes and he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Sep 15, 2020 9:37 AM in response to scotpondonyahoo

Apple stopped including the extension cord a few years ago, but old ones do work with current adapters and Apple still sells the extension cord separately. Personally, I have around a dozen of the extension cords from prior Macs (even one from an old FireWire iPod), and I am using several of them with older MagSafe and current USB-C chargers.

If you have an old one that's not working, it may have been damaged.

Sep 15, 2020 12:14 PM in response to scotpondonyahoo

scotpondonyahoo wrote:

I tried using old one. It doesn’t work with Apple C cable BUT it does work if I use a different brand C cable. What’s up?

I have had no issue using a older 3 prong extension from an older magsafe charger block to the new USBC charger block?

What could the issue be....(?)

Power Adapter Extension Cable - Apple

Sep 15, 2020 12:07 PM in response to scotpondonyahoo

If you mean the Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable, the 'duckhead' connector at the charger-side of that has not changed in ~2 decades.

My Touch Wheel iPod from 2002 came with one for it's included FireWire charger, and that power extension cord works perfectly with the 96 W charger for my 16" MacBook Pro.

As stated, if your old Power Adapter Extension Cable is not working with your current adapter, the cable is damaged or broken.

Here's a picture of the cable-organizing/concealing box sitting under my desk at home, in there are five Apple notebook chargers ranging from a 60 W MagSafe from a 2008 MacBook to a 96 W USB-C from my 2019 16" MBP.

Two of them are MagSafe, three are USB-C. All have the same type Power Adapter Extension Cable, and since I've never bought one separately, they all came with a Mac or iPod...meaning must all be older than 2015 when Apple stopped including them (in fact, the newest one of mine is from the 17" MacBook Pro that I bought in 2011, and some are much older than that as you can guess from the aged gray color of some of them).

Sep 18, 2020 3:11 PM in response to scotpondonyahoo

• Apple Power Cables (for portable AC adapters) from OWC:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/accessories/cables/apple-power-cables

When in stock, may be new; or tested good and noted as such.

Site shows two 1.8M official Apple power cables, per question.

Both new. This reputable Mac vendor has other useful things.

1.8 Meter (72") Apple Genuine AC Power Cable. Bulk Packaged $6.79

1.8 Meter (72") Apple Genuine AC Power Cable (not bulk) $7.75

While perusing second-hand stores, I'm almost always on lookout

for extra accessories such as these official Apple cables, & adapters.

Most of mine were only 50 cents and appeared unused. And fit.

No extension cord comes with new Mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.