Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't pass fit test AirPods Pro after firmware update

Been using the AirPods Pro with the medium size ear tips without any issues, always passed the fit test. (In fact, passed the fit test with the mediums and also the large)

Today, updated to the 3A283 firmware and now said the fit test failed. Tried all the sizes in each ear, finally got it to pass on the right, but nothing makes it pass on the left.

Any tricks? I really want to use memory foam tips instead of the silicone, but I heard the tests will always fail with those 3rd party memory foam tips.

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 6:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 8:31 AM

Ultimately I ended up going to Apple store and exchanging the AirPod that was failing the fit test. The new AirPod passes the test with the same old tips, so clearly something was wrong hardware wise.

So ignore those people who say if it sounds ok ignore the fit test, because clearly something was indeed faulty.

good luck!

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2020 8:31 AM in response to petefromminnetrista

Ultimately I ended up going to Apple store and exchanging the AirPod that was failing the fit test. The new AirPod passes the test with the same old tips, so clearly something was wrong hardware wise.

So ignore those people who say if it sounds ok ignore the fit test, because clearly something was indeed faulty.

good luck!

Sep 17, 2020 1:19 PM in response to mikeypas

I seem to be experiencing the same issue. It appears not to be related to the AirPods or their actual fit, but merely to the new iOS 14 ‘fit test music’ that lacks all bass when played. Might be a bug, as the Airpods have a perfect bass in any other app, and the Airpods have a good fit. Not really an answer to your question, but hope it helps a bit.

Oct 17, 2020 5:38 PM in response to mikeypas

I have noticed since iOS 14 update I cannot get any tips to pass and I used to be able to pass with large tips consistently no sometimes medium. Hoping next update (firmware or iOS) will improve the consistency. Also, Tips and positioning that would pass now says environment is too loud to do the test. All in all think there is an issue.

Can't pass fit test AirPods Pro after firmware update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.