Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do Mail Rules Work?

Hello,

I would love to understand how mail rules work. I have various rules on my MacBook Pro which tell emails from certain people to go to a special folder, for example. As far as I can tell, these rules are stored locally on that Mac. But, what does this mean for how the rules operate?

For example, if my Mac is powered off, do the rules still apply to emails coming in on my iPhone? If I got a new MacBook Pro and created a conflicting rule, what would happen then?

Thanks in advance for the help.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 7:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 7:57 PM

If your Mac is powered off, nothing happens, mail remains on the mail server, no rules run, as nothing runs.

If you want the rules to run while your Mac is sleeping or powered off, you will have to use rules that run on another client that is booted and running, or rules that run the mail server.

The Apple iCloud mail server offers this, as do some other providers.

If you’re running several mail clients each with rules running locally, the first mail client that polls the mail server and retrieves the arriving mail message “wins”.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2020 7:57 PM in response to thecode792

If your Mac is powered off, nothing happens, mail remains on the mail server, no rules run, as nothing runs.

If you want the rules to run while your Mac is sleeping or powered off, you will have to use rules that run on another client that is booted and running, or rules that run the mail server.

The Apple iCloud mail server offers this, as do some other providers.

If you’re running several mail clients each with rules running locally, the first mail client that polls the mail server and retrieves the arriving mail message “wins”.

Sep 15, 2020 8:40 PM in response to thecode792

You’re looking for the particular rules for the particular mail server. Some mail servers offer support for user-written rules. Some don’t. Details vary.

Here is some documentation for the iCloud mail server rules:

Set up rules to filter email in Mail on iCloud.com - Apple Support

How a mail server operates is a bigger discussion. And a discussion very much dependent on which mail server software.

Intro: https://www.samlogic.net/articles/mail-server.htm

How do Mail Rules Work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.