Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Series 6 with Tattoos

Is anyone aware of how the new watch will react with heavily tattooed forearms?

Currently have a series 3 but my tattoos make it impossible to use due to disconnecting every few minutes.

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 3:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 12:51 AM

Hey jmrsdn,

i bought the Apple Watch Series 6 Nike edition and i have also issues with the wristdetection, so nothing works correctly. That’s so frustrating. Every year, since the og, i bought the new apple watch. I can’t understand this problem. Other brands like garmin or polar can do it too. Imo they can solve the problem if they would turn of the wristdetection but let the other function works. I know it’s important for apple pay so they can turn this function off.

108 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2020 12:51 AM in response to jmrsdn

Hey jmrsdn,

i bought the Apple Watch Series 6 Nike edition and i have also issues with the wristdetection, so nothing works correctly. That’s so frustrating. Every year, since the og, i bought the new apple watch. I can’t understand this problem. Other brands like garmin or polar can do it too. Imo they can solve the problem if they would turn of the wristdetection but let the other function works. I know it’s important for apple pay so they can turn this function off.

Oct 27, 2020 8:11 PM in response to jmrsdn

I can almost, 100% ( maybe 98.7%) confirm that the transition between colors is at least part of the problem. My left arm is tattooed, but the coverage is not a lot, especially on the wrist. The only real portion of tattoo that would fall under the watch sensor is a thin, maybe 2mm, black line. When the watch transitions across this spot through normal movement or even adjustment (due to heat, sweat, comfort, etc.) it locks. However, on my right arm, I could lift the watch itself almost a full inch off the skin without it locking.

I would imagine this could be a rather simple fix through adding a timer to the lock feature when it loses "contact" with the wrist through whatever means it uses to detect it. Would at least lessen the amount of times it'd lock while on the wrist due to normal movement.

****, here's a few other possible solutions for apple:

1. Put the wallet behind the passcode and leave the other functions working. Fitbit can do it, so can you!
  2. Make it a user adjustable password wall. Let us chose which apps or features are sensitive and need to be unlocked.
  3. Integrate the timer suggestion I made. Maybe even make it user adjustable in increments of seconds.
  4. Do a better job testing with a more diverse group of people.

I came to the series 6 from a Fitbit Ionic. Fitbit lost my confidence when it took them 3 years to develop software to use the hardware the watch already had. (Blood O2 sensor) However, for some reason it was able to track my all day heart rate, my sleep, my activity, etc...without issue. And their wallet is behind a passcode but the rest isn't.

Oct 15, 2020 5:56 AM in response to jmrsdn

I just got the 6 as well and worked fine over my tattoos for half the day, then suddenly stopped and kept locking itself. It works on my non tattooed wrist but will take some getting used to and I’m afraid it will get damaged more easily on my dominant hand. I’m surprised because I have a good amount of bare skin through my tattoo but still would not work.

Nov 14, 2020 12:52 AM in response to jmrsdn

No Joy using the 44mm S6 on this tattoo.

somewhat annoyingly when I originally got the sleeve it did finish higher up, I extended it down a bit then got the Apple watch s3 a year or so later. I wondered why fitness apps would stop midway through workouts etc.

I’ve ordered the epoxy caps to try but it doesn’t sound like people are having any luck with them.

Right non-inked arm works fine. I’m trying to see if I can get used to it on that wrist.

Feb 27, 2021 11:23 AM in response to Tomdr94

My 2cts, been using Apple devices since the early 90ies. Apple and their users were all very dedicated and loyal, most were also passionate about Apple and their products. I worked at Apple for about 5 years doing CPU & later iOS phone/chat support. Slowly I saw changes I didn’t like (partially why I left), more and more employees don’t bleed 6 colors, to them its just a job… many Apple store employees are “hipsters” to whom its just a job. AppleCare advisors are lazy, they know you’re calling/chatting from the device and to keep their numbers (AHT) down they have you do a restart without any troubleshooting whatsoever, so its the next advisors “problem”, I saw and if I contact them now this to be the case. I once exchanged a iPhone 3G because the glass wasn’t flush with the chrome bezel, they opened 5 (five) devices to find one I was happy with, try doing that now… I’ll let you know that can’t happen nowadays. Apple became just like many a bottom line company, “playing” the numbers game, it’s hard to find devoted “geeks” who believe & follow the spirit Apple once had and it makes me sad (#iSad), customers are more and more just numbers, in too many instances the devotion, loyalty and true Apple care is a thing of the past.

So there I got it out of my system, I’ll be very surprised if Apple comes with a fix, many, like myself (cuz I do bleed 6 colors, still) keep using it, yes it “cripples” my Apple Watch yet I like the rest of the features and functions that do work. I hope Apple has me eat my words but I have my doubts.

Oct 2, 2020 3:23 AM in response to jmrsdn

I’m going to be somewhat contradictory to the rest of the comments in this thread. Both my arms and hands are covered in tattoos (black and grey ink) and both the series 3 and 4 did not work on my wrists.

I purchased the series 6 two days ago and I have had zero issues whatsoever. Both the ECG and blood oxygen monitors seem to be working also.

Oct 4, 2020 10:40 AM in response to jmrsdn

Meanwhile I returned the Silver Aluminum Nike Series 6 and purchased a Titanium Series 6 (so gorgeous), at first I was excited because it seemed to work, but later on it didn’t so yeah, guess all models are having the issue.

It’s a serious bummer but besides from returning the watch, or use an epoxy sticker there’s little we can do. I suspect it can’t be fixed with software? Anyone contacted  vis-à-vis this matter, if so what did they say?

Thank you.

Oct 4, 2020 10:46 AM in response to rudeb0y

I think it has to do with the placement of the light sensors on the back side and where the tattoo is. My tattoo is small but wraps around my wrist. When I had it done I actually laid out an Apple Watch on paper and traced it then designed the tattoo within those lines (as to be able to cover it up and not be visible at work). I think if the deeper sensing red lights are placed somewhere other than where they are on the Apple Watch you might have some luck. I begrudgingly ordered a Garmin vivoactive 4 in hopes that it works better. It's NOT an Apple Watch, but maybe it won't pause my workouts mid workout and maybe it will be able to read my HR and O2 levels consistently.

Oct 7, 2020 9:35 AM in response to savante

I bought and returned the 6. I loved it, but as mentioned before, for the price I could not justify the issues. The people that say they have full sleeves and it works fine, I wonder the color, shading, and placement of their tattoo. I bought a Garmin Vivoactive 4 in hopes of getting the some of the same benefits like Blood Oxygen/O2 levels, sleep monitoring, HR monitor, etc, but found it was inconsistent also. The integration with Apple iPhone was intolerable, also and the App Store lacked in comparison. I returned the Garmin, also. I might give the 6 a try again and wear it on the underside of my wrist using the epoxy caps people are mentioning, complete with a bumper and screen protector, but for now it's a simple Casio G-Shock GBD-800 to use as a watch on my left wrist, and on my right wrist a WHOOP strap that monitors my HR, Sleep, and "Strain." I hope that this is something Apple is able to fix or alter in the future.

Apple Watch Series 6 with Tattoos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.